+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cortland Endurance 7' 3 weight rod?

Default Cortland Endurance 7' 3 weight rod?

Dear Board,

Does anybody here own one and if so what is you opinion of the rod? I'm am looking for a relatively inexpensive 7 foot 3 or 4 weight rod and I can pick up one of these for $ 89.00 brand new, but if I'm not going to like the rod the price means nothing.

My only experience with Cortland rods is with their CL and GRX rods, both of which I thought were decent rods for the money, and both are $ 100 or less. The Endurance was a new rod for 2006 and listed for around $ 140- $ 150 so I find it strange that somebody is blowing them out already.

If you don't own the exact rod I am asking about but you have some experience with the Endurance rods please feel free to share that information. I'm trying to get a feel for if I'll be wasting my money or not.

Please don't suggest casting the rod, I'd love to be able do that but it really isn't an option in this case unless I drive to Cortland NY to try one, no local shops that I am aware of carry this particular model.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Hi, I just got done ordering and then returning a cortland endurance 9'6" 6wt. I was also intrigued by the low price and glowing description and thought I'd give it a shot.

They are interesting looking rods.. They could be construed as "nice looking" if one were into flashy stuff.

More important- the action: The one I tried was fairly fast and I didn't notice anything wrong with the casting action. The deal breaker for me was the poor recovery of the blank. After the forward stroke, the rod continued to bounce a bit and throw waves into the line.

I don't know if the three wt would be the same.. but you asked for any info, so there it is.

Post your results if you go ahead with it.

Take care, Eric

Stan was winner, name out of the hat, for that rod (but a 6 wt) at the Idaho Fish-In. He is thrilled with it.
    I did feel it was 'softer' than I personally like and as in most lower priced rods, it was heavier in hand than the same weight rod in the higher price range. And that is not important to a lot of folks, but as I get older, I find I really tire out casting heavier rods...so I'll take advantage of the better rods when I can.

You might be interested in the Cabela's Three Forks 3 wt. This rod has a very nice action at a very low price. I can only recommend the 3 wt in the Three Forks line, however. I bought a 5 wt when they were on sale a few years ago as a loaner or beater rod, and it is crap. The 3 wt remains one of my favorite small stream rods.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher7
    You might be interested in the Cabela's Three Forks 3 wt. This rod has a very nice action at a very low price. I can only recommend the 3 wt in the Three Forks line, however. I bought a 5 wt when they were on sale a few years ago as a loaner or beater rod, and it is crap. The 3 wt remains one of my favorite small stream rods.
    I haven't cast any Three Forks except the 3 wt. I agree with what you say...the best $50 rod anywhere.
    I've had one for a few years. I gave my first one away to a friend that wanted to try flyfishiing. As I was giving him a little casting instruction with the rod I decided I made a big mistake getting rid of that rod...I bought another one.
    I fished it on the east branch (or west or south or north can't remember) of the Ausable during the fish in...the rod preformed flawlessly....as good as any 3 wt I have ever fished.

Hi Avalon! - If you want to cast one of the Endurance rods, try Cabela's. I'd be willing to meet you there AND I'll buy lunch. My Three Forks 3wt resides in my truck, and you're welcome to try it as well. Was in the new LL Bean store in Center Valley tonight, and they've got a really sweet 6'6" 2wt that is calling my name......Ed

Dear Ed,

Cabela's is where I was thinking of buying the rod but how do you test cast a rod at the Hamburg store? I've never seen it done?

I think I'll just wind up waiting and picking something up in the Spring when I'll need and use the rod more.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

+ Reply to Thread