+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Standard Series Versa-VesselTM Kickboats

Default The Standard Series Versa-VesselTM Kickboats

Hi all, have any of you had any experiance with this brand of pontoon boats? I have a chance to buy one here in N.Z. and so I could save U.S.$300 on the frieght compared to a fish cat from the states. But I have never even heard of this brand before, any help much apreciated. here is a link to there web store. http://www.outdoorengineering.com
    Thanks.
    All the best.
    Mike

Mike, I never heard of this company, but I'll tell you that looks like a very nice unit. There are plenty of "lesser" known makers of kickboats that produce some very good boats. The unit I own is made by a company that makes about 100 boats per year, and they have been around for a long time.
    I will admit I was very impressed with what I saw when I clicked on the link you posted. Furthermore, I have added it to my favorites for further reading.
    If the price is right, I say go for it (will they let you take it for a test drive?)
    I looked at the specs and I was quite impressed with all of them. The unit seems to be very well put together. Tough pontoons, not very heavy frame, etc.
    Overall, it would appear that the unit you are looking at compares to what I have, and you are getting a few extras with yours for about the same price.
    Thanks for the link. A friend of mine has been looking for a boat as well and this might suit him just fine. Heck, I might be interested in a set of their "sale" pontoons, one of my units is 23 years old and still going strong, but the pontoons should be replaced.
    Saltamontes

Mike,

Like Saltamontes, I made that link one of my favorites for future reading. Nice looking boats! I own a Fish Cat 9 footer now. Yours appears to be as good or better than my boat. Prices don't appear to be out of line with the quality. If it's a good deal and you can check the boat out before buying, go for it.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thanks very much for your input guys, I can not take the boat for a test drive becouse it is in the South Island, however I do think it looks like a good deal.
    Once again thanks.
    Mike Thomas

Dear Mike,

Check out the following website. The Versa-Vessel boats seem to be a popular boat in the California Float boat fishing circuit. These people do mostly lakes but they are very serious about their fishing and rigging their boats.

They have a forum section and lot of pictures of rigged boats to investigate.

http://www.bass-n-tubes.com/gallery/albums.php

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

I have neither seen this line of pontoon boats nor are familiar with them.

The web site is not very informative about the product specifiations like:

-Pontoon material, thickness, strength specs.

-Oar length?

-Frame pipe specifications incuding pipe diameter, wall thickness, and alloy number with strength specs. The fact they offer not 1, but 2 levels of frame upgrades is really unusual. Is the standard frame up to the task or not?

I also see some design elements that may not be desirable:

Straps appear to go around the pontoons rather than attach to them. If so, the straps will rub on rocks in rivers and be relocated. Further, the pontoons will get moved and twisted from this and also from going through rapid water. You will probably find your self stopping to reposition the pontoons so the boat is properly balanced and/or tracks down the river straight.

The oar lock sytem looks like a flimsy, locked in system. If so, it can tip the boat over in a bad bottom oar jam. Flimsy oar locks break sooner rather than later. Prefered oar lock systems are brass "Open" lock that let the oar move up the oar lock and away fro bottom or rock jams. They apparently do not offer an Open oar lock system?

You are putting your body, if not your life, at risk when using pontoon boats and quality features and specifications are paramount in managing this risk.

I have seen poor quality pontoon frames literally explode apart when broad siding a boulder in a rapid. I have also seen pontooners walking to the take out when flimsy oar locks just break without hitting anything.

In managing the Safety and Risk I also suggest that the pontoons be at least 9 feet long and the oars be at least 7 feet long.

Good Luck on your pontoon search
    Max

Default Re: The Standard Series Versa-VesselTM Kickboats

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thomas
    Hi all, have any of you had any experiance with this brand of pontoon boats? I have a chance to buy one here in N.Z. and so I could save U.S.$300 on the frieght compared to a fish cat from the states. But I have never even heard of this brand before, any help much apreciated. here is a link to there web store. http://www.outdoorengineering.com
    Thanks.
    All the best.
    Mike
    I've never fished out of one, but have seen plenty. They are made in my neck of the woods, and there is quite a few around. They are a very well built boat, aircraft aluminum frame, the toons are 32 oz. PVC and you can upgrade to 40 oz. urethane bladder toons. As far as I remember there are D-rings on the sides where the straps attach to. They have been around for over 12 years now. Not much has changed in the design since then. If it ain't broke don't fix it I guess. Someone mentioned the oar towers looked flimsy. I never noticed any weak points in the boat, including the oar towers. The pontoons are thermally welded instead of sewn. I think the oars are 6' or 7' Carlisle's (if I remember correctly). There is a number of add on's one is a motor mount/throttle and steering setup. I did take pictures of it a few years back at the ISE show, but they're on my broken harddrive. It's a conglomeration (sp?) though. There is a gentleman that stays at Henry's Lake most of the summer and fishes out of one. Has a gas motor attached up front on his foot rests. We've seen it up there for the past 5 or 6 years now.
    I've never heard a bad thing about them. Owners seem to like them.
    As far as comparing them to a fish cat. I'd take the VersaVessel hands down.
    If you have any questions, e-mail them. I'm sure they'll be happy to answer your questions.
    Good luck.

Dear Mike,

I've been researching pontoons for years in anticipation of buying one and I'd like to add some to the posts above, Versa-Vessel does offer a river style oarlock as an upgrade as well as oar rights. Some other boats also require you to pay more that stuff as well.

As a "beefed up" person I like the idea that you can purchase a "beefed up" frame. Face it, floatation capacity is entirely dependent on the length and diameter of the tubes and you can always upgrade the tubes. If start with a good frame you can often go from 8 foot to 10 or even 12 foot tubes if you require them. What you can't do is drastically change a poor frame.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Well everyone, thank you very much for your input, I have bought the boat and it should be here next week, I can hardly wait!
    All the best.
    Mike.

Dear Mike,

Please let us know what you think of the boat after you have a chance to try it out. Give us some information about where you are using the boat, ie. lakes or rivers or both.

I am seriously considering a Versa-Vessel and I would be in the same situation as yourself, I would have to order it sight unseen. I want one for lakes and mild rivers, there isn't a river I fish that cannot be run with an open canoe, and the Versa-Vessel looks like it will fit my needs nicely.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

+ Reply to Thread