+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REELS

Default REELS

Hey guys, I am looking for some suggestions on reels for Cats and coho salmon (maybe.....hopefully).

What should i look for in a reel?? Im not looking to spend a whole lot....$120 tops!

Default Try Cortlands

Alex,

You'll be looking for a good, smooth drag.

I've been using some Cortland LTD's for years. In salt, sand, ... even clients can't kill 'em

http://www.cortlandline.com/catalog/reels.html
    Christopher Chin

Default Reels

While I have no experience with Cats (other than the evil 4 legged ones), I have great experience with Coho...

I agree with Chris, you need a reel with a great drag.. otherwise, it is simply a line holder. I have experience with the Okuma reels and though they are imported, they seem to be of good quality with a good, adjustable drag.

You might try looking up a Scientific Angler System 2. Nothing too fancy, just very solid basic reels, okay for saltwater use and a proven track record. You should be able to get a size 10/11 for a bit less than $120.00. If you get into any of the big name reels like Tibors, Abels etc. you're looking at lot more than $120.

Jim Smith

Default Re: Reels

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides
    While I have no experience with Cats (other than the evil 4 legged ones), I have great experience with Coho...

I agree with Chris, you need a reel with a great drag.. otherwise, it is simply a line holder. I have experience with the Okuma reels and though they are imported, they seem to be of good quality with a good, adjustable drag.
    I have recently gotten into the Okuma Helios reels which are said to be a step above in their machining and a good drag...their move to a little higher end reel than their others...haven't really put the drag to the test yet.

They can be gotten on Ebay for around your price point...or less

alaskanfishguides....have you had any experience with the Helios?...they are very appealing to me weight wise, looks , and how they feel in the hand.

Teton Tioga.

Cheap and good. I'm sure others on board can back me up on this one.

Martin Mod 72 with star drag and 3:1 retrieve ratio for under $30. A steal.

I have caught lots of salmon and lately large catfish on an old Pflueger 1495. I havn't worn the drag out and holds plenty of line and backing. I also have a Hardy Zenith and a Princess multiplier that have caught their share of larger fish over the years but will cost more than 100 bucks. If I was starting out today, I probably would lean to a Large Arbor reel with a good drag system. A reel sleeper reel that you see on ebay once in awhile is the Martin Multiplier reel. Built like a brick s... house and they usually go between $75 to %120 dollars. A very good looking reel too. Probably the one and only quality reel Martin ever made.

You can get the Martin Mod 72 Multplier at any Sportsman's Warehouse for $29.95. My boss even used one successfully on bonefish.

Alex;
    A Courtland Endurance goes for $100.00 with a drag that will stop a truck!!

+ Reply to Thread