+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Perch

Default Yellow Perch

I'm not one for panfishing in general, but I'll be up at a small lake in Pennsylvania's Susquehanna County next week that has a good yellow perch population. I haven't (knowingly) killed a fish in years, but I plan on doing so to a few of these perch. What type, size, and color flies would be effective on these future snacks? I have to get tying. Thanks in advance.

John

I reside in Minnesota, and Minnesotan's would rather fish for Walleye, than Yellow Perch. Walleye are the larger cousin to the Yellow Perch and Saugers, which are part of the same family.

Yellow Perch are more prone to have worms in their flesh, than Walleye or Sauger. The reason for this worm condition, is the Yellow Perch school along the riverd/lake bed, while Sauger and Walleye, station themselves above the river/lake bed.

In Minnesota we allow the Iowa angler to come here to catch as many Yellow Perch as they want!

John: I catch perch on the same flies that I use for crappie. A wooly bugger in size 8 works fairly well. I tie it with a rather short tail - like halfway between a bugger and a worm. My favorite color is chartruese tail, light brown body & white hackle. This summer I went to a reservoir and fished primarily for perch and had excellent success with two different flies:

1. Hook, Mustad 3399 #12, Tail: Black Hackle Fibers, Body: Black punch yarn, Hackle: Black, and tied along the top of the body a strip of yellow sparkle braid.

2. Hook, Mustad 9671 #10, Tail: Brown or pheasant.
    Body: Lead under, back 2/3 Brown punch yarn, Front 1/3 Orange punch yarn and a shell casing of pearl sparkle braid.

In previous years I have had success with flies that had orange in them, now I think that a prime attractor on a perch fly is something shiny - like the sparkle braid. Good Luck and don't forget to sharpen that fillet knife

Tim Anderson

nighthawk Guest

John,
    Here is a great fly that is a must for perch and crappie:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... 1fotw.html

This time of year the perch will be moving up into the shallows. They feed primarily on small minnows, like fatheads, so crappie candy, woolly buggers and minnow streamer patterns in the size 12 to 20 range should work well. Fish shallow points, ledges along drop offs, coves and stream inlets. Any area that provides good cover for bait-fish.

All fresh water fishes can be susceptible to parasites. I have caught many a walleye along deep bottoms on a big gob of night crawler on spinning gear. Proper prep and cooking eliminates the danger of parasitic infestation from fish. I still keep and consume perch, walleye, crappie and large bluegills.

Yellow perch in particular must be harvested or they will quickly overpopulate their waters. This will cause stunted growth and a population crash. It can also affect other species in the same fishery.

If you want to go ice fishing come on up and we will fish Holman Lake at Little Buffalo State Park. You are always welcome to go fishing with me anytime.

nighthawk Guest

Thanks Panman. Looks like I will add some #8's to my arsenal.

Dear Hooligan,

You've received good advice so far. Another fly I like is Lefty's Cactus fly. Lead eyes, a body of ice chenille and a marabou tail with a few strands of krystal flash tied into the tail. Sometimes I add a turn or two of hackle right behind the eyes but it's not necessary.

In my mind it's nothing but a fly rod Mr. Twister or tube jig. I like to tie them in chartreuse, purple, black, white, and root beer.

Don't listen to those Minnesota guys, they are infatuated with walleye. To me, perch are way better eating. Much firmer flesh and sweeter tasting. Sometimes you get one with parasites but they are usually pretty easy to see on the fish so just toss it back.

Where are you going in Susquehanna County? I used to live up that way and there were dozens of lakes and ponds to fish. I really miss not having the same stillwater fishing opportunites.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Quote Originally Posted by Avalon
    Where are you going in Susquehanna County? I used to live up that way and there were dozens of lakes and ponds to fish. I really miss not having the same stillwater fishing opportunites.
    Lake Roy- it's a small, shallow (if it get 6' deep, I'd be shocked) private devel. lake. I know about perch overpopulating, so I figured I'd do my part to help the bigmouth bass and my appetite.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions. Yesterday I tied uup a couple of small (sz. 8-10) clouser style flies with chart. cactus body/browm marabou tail and acouple more with yellow antron body and tail. I'll try the crappie candy next in yellow.

John

I haven't fished for yellow perch in your neck of the woods, but have in the west/northwest in a number of lakes. I've caught them on everything from dry flies to size 2 streamers (that one surprised me but still managed to swallow almost the entire fly). I have caught a lot of them on a fly that is simply a short marabou tail and chenille body with rubber legs tied in along the body (like a small girdle bug with a tail). I use black, brown, white or yellow - some with weight, some not. With the perch it seems to be that if you find the color they want, you can't stop catching them on any fly that color. Just don't hope for too much of a fight from these fish.

Small clousers should do well, 2-6. Make em flashy.

It's true that the perch fishing isn't all that great here in Minnesota. Perch are usually small and wormy. But I think it's a Minnesota thing. I grew up in South Dakota fishing perch and never had these problems. Perch are some good eating.

I would tie a small leech. Dumbell eyes to turn it hook up. Zonker strip along what will be the top, maybe a little contrasting marabou along the bottom. Makes a nice little minnow immitation tied on a longshank size 8 or so.

+ Reply to Thread