+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Video on Building a Bamboo Rod!

Default Video on Building a Bamboo Rod!

Hi all,

I purchased a South Bend Bamboo with the idea of using it to be my first rod that I have refinished. I'm very excited about this and want to learn all I can. Anybody have a DVD on building rods that would be good for a ROOKIE? I will pay cash or trade two Scientific Anglers DVD's on flyfishing. Just let me know! Thanks

I'm pretty sure Golden Witch (www.goldenwitch.com) has a series of rodmaking DVD's, but I'm not sure if they have any on rod refurbishing/restoration. If you are really wanting to get into the rod building end of things (starting with a culm of bamboo, and planing down the strips...all that stuff), check out Powerfibers (www.powerfibers.com I believe). And don't forget to ask as many questions on here as you possibly can. There's a wealth of 'boo knowledge on this board just wating to be shared with another "rookie".

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR (soon to be Albany, OR)

Cabela's has a video by Artie Hebert on refinishing bamboo rods. It was available online I believe. It is pretty good and the way that I got started. I would suggest that you also do some websurfing, and get some other resources, such as subscribing to the Planing Form from Alder Creek Publishing, or getting some books. Go to the library and try to find a copy of "The Fine Bamboo Fly Rod" by Stuart Kirkfield and Mike Sinclair's Bamboo Restoration Handbook. Both are out of print and expensive. I found Kirkfield's book in my local library, and bought Sinclair's book for $100. Since then I have heard rumors recently on this board that he may be reprinting it soon. If so buy it then, it is good, but would probably be selling for much less than what I paid.

4. Default

Another DVD you may want to consider is the one by Wayne Cattanach, one of the best and only cost about $20 for the 3 disc set.

+ Reply to Thread