+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sylk WF vs DT

Default Sylk WF vs DT

My husband just finished making a bamboo for me...and I'm wondering about the difference between the Sylk WF line vs. DT. It's not the greatest rod, but an average one he saved from becoming a tomato stick to something to have fun on at the river. He did a beautiful job redoing threads, guides and the finish, and I'd like to put a Sylk on.

Any recommendations before heading out to buy a line?

Thanks

I bought a DT 5 to use on bamboo. I forgot what my thought process was at the time that made me get a DT but it works great.

What about a REAL silk line? The "vintage" ones can be found pretty cheap, and the modern ones really aren't that expensive considering they will last almost indefinitely with proper care.

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

Diane, My boo is a 7' 3pc 4wt. I bought both Sylks for it thinking on the smaller streams that DT would be nice. Just my opinion, but my boo likes the WF better.
    Real silk would be nice, but I have enough to worry about with my furled leaders staying afloat to worry about the line also.
    I just wanna fish!

Diane, if it is a three weight I could mail you my reel with the dt Sylk on it. YOu could try it as see how you like it.I use it on my bamboo and my McFarland rods.
    Paul

Thanks for the offer...but the rod is more 5 or 6.

my boo likes the wf line also. then again it could just be tghe way I cast. Congrats on the boo though

Thanks for the tips. DT's been practicing on boo rods...at least he calls it practicing. (The kids have their own now.) Personally I can't tell the difference between his wraps/finish and the ones in the store. Maybe it's just me. It seems the price is all in the bamboo and who did the work.

He finally got his wish though. A decent buy on an heirloom blank from UK. It hasn't arrived yet, but he already has the line and sock.

The weather has turned chilly, but I'm hoping to get a feel of my bamboo and hit the water next week.

Quote Originally Posted by DianeID
    Thanks for the tips. DT's been practicing on boo rods...at least he calls it practicing. (The kids have their own now.) Personally I can't tell the difference between his wraps/finish and the ones in the store. Maybe it's just me. It seems the price is all in the bamboo and who did the work.

He finally got his wish though. A decent buy on an heirloom blank from UK. It hasn't arrived yet, but he already has the line and sock.

The weather has turned chilly, but I'm hoping to get a feel of my bamboo and hit the water next week.
    What part of So. Idaho do you live in. I have family in Idaho Dalls and in Pocatello. I was going to say I have a 5wt DT in Sylk I could sent to one of them if you wanna try it.
    FG

What is the best way to find that "Vintage" silk line. Antique shops? Any way to tell if its totally shot, or worth purchasing? I have been looking around for some but so far have been unsuccessful.

+ Reply to Thread