+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Book ** A Compendium of Canadian Fly Patterns **

Default New Book ** A Compendium of Canadian Fly Patterns **

Hey folks,

If anybody is looking for a new book full of fly patterns then i recommend that you get your hands on this one. It has over 1600 patterns covering flies for atlantic salmon, steelhead, saltwater, trout and more.

This book is only available through the authors, not through flyshops, as the profits go to help Youth Flyfishing in Canada.

The link to purchase or get more info is http://www.galesendpress.com which is Paul Marriner's company (he co-authored/edited the book with Robert Jones).

I went to Paul Marriner's house yesterday (7 hour round trip drive) to pick up my signed copy and while we were talking he mentioned that this book was about a 5 year project from start to finish. They both deserve a great deal of praise for the fine work they did.

I really lucked out in that Paul put my name second (Marc Madore was first & Jacques Heroux was third) in the list of tyers that he thanked in the "Acknowledgements". I was lumped in with Marc Madore, Jacques Heroux, Bryant Freeman, Jerry Doak, Bob Petti and Roddy MacLeod for a special thanks as his "go to" tiers. Man, i hate to see what the bill will be for getting included in that list of tiers.....

There are a ton of other well known tiers featured in the book too; Brian Chan, Phil Rowley, Claude Bernard, Mac Warner and Sheldon Seale to name only a few.

Yes Jamie, the book is a tresure. Photos are very
    clear and the binding is good. I am sure it will be a collector's item, at least here in Canada.
    1600 flies covers a wide range of fishing, making it a usefull book for any fly tyer.
    Job well done and for a good cose.
    Faruk Ekich

3. Default

Thanks Jamie for the info, looks like a great book, my order is on the way!

Many of the fly patterns mentioned in this posting are available on FAOL, in the "Our Man in Canada" archives...

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/archive.html:b22ba]"Our Man in Canada" archives![/url:b22ba]

Quote Originally Posted by Steven H. McGarthwaite
    Many of the fly patterns mentioned in this posting are available on FAOL, in the "Our Man in Canada" archives...

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/archive.html:36af6]"Our Man in Canada" archives![/url:36af6]
    I am sure that the "Our Man in Canada" archives has a lot of useful fly patterns in it Steven but i doubt it can hold a candle to this new book. Out of the 1600+ patterns in this book there is probably 1400+ that i have never seen or heard of before. This book is filled with flies by tyers who design flies for their local rivers/streams/lakes and up until now have never published or shared outside of a few friends the patterns.

I suggest that before you claim that many of the patterns are available online that you purchase the book and go through it pattern by pattern. After about a week of doing your research i think you would find that you spoke too quick.

Mr. Caddick: I just converted all the "Our Man in Canada: articles into Adobe PDF files, for next years FAOL 2007 CD. I count 56 fly patterns, that are in this series. Just to get the fact right, I will state that not all of the pattern in the book that you recommended are there archives, but there is a good representation of Great Canadian Patterns there for those who do not have the money to buy the book....

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can178.html:eac74]Golden Girl[/url:eac74]

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can166.html:eac74]Nation's Black[/url:eac74]

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/canada/can233.html:eac74]Grey Fly[/url:eac74]

Next time, PM (personnel message) me, I dislike people taking my statements out of context, in a public forum, when they can clear the air privately.

~Parnelli

Steven, it appears as though we have differing views on what is classed as "many". When there is over 1600+ patterns in the book and you say many of them are in the "Our Man in Canada" archives and there is only 56 of them ???

Perhaps you could have phrased your post differently, or at least did some research first. If i have time tonight i will go through the archives myself and compare to what is in the book.

If you don't like being called out in the forum then perhaps you should do some research before posting.

You deserve a pat on the back for all the work you have done in sharing the fly patterns on CD's with everyone. Just next time please do some research before posting something like this.

What part of PM (Personnel Message) do you fail to understand?

Obviously the same part about doing your research so you aren't posting false information that you don't understand.

The next time that somebody posts about a new book instead of quickly jumping to say that many of them can be found on some section of this site i suggest you pony up your money and buy the book and do some RESEARCH first. You blatantly posted false/misleading information, if you don't like being taken to task for it then next time inform yourself and post true facts.

Hopefully that isn't too much to ask is it ???

I will do your research for you and post the results tonight.

thanks for the info on this book! Looks very interesting and the funds go to a good cause. I think I'll get a copy.

+ Reply to Thread