+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back into it!

Default Back into it!

Hoorah, my Osteopath has finaly given me the O.K. to go fishing again after nearly 2 months out due to a bad back (bad enough to get me carted of to hospital in an ambulance). So I have Friday off work and am heading to a small stream in the Waikato area for a days fishing and I frankly do not even care if I get no fish, I am just hanging out to cast a fly on moving water.
    Will post a report on the reports page over the weekend.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Hi Mike,

Hope you have a good one. I fished the Waihou on Labour Day Monday for about 40 minutes and landed 2 small rainbows (24 and 27 cm) on soft hackle flies. I was using my new 3wgt, so they were a lot of fun despite the rain.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Default back into it

Mike, way too go. Just remember to not overdo it. Lotsa fish lotsa days. Ease into it. Clyde

Thanks guys, Jeff I am going to fish a small stream off the Matamata to Tauranga road but if it rains much more I may end up on the Waihou, though it will be with my six wgt.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Go for it,,,, and how about a picture or two?

Please post only ugly pictures of New Zeland. I soooo much want to go there and sooo much can't afford it. If the photos are too nice I'll either die of a broken heart or take my credit cards and max them out. Neither is a good thing.

Really, NZ is one of those places that is on my list of must-go-to-before-I-die places.

jed

nighthawk Guest

Good for you, Mike! Nothing like some time on the water to mend body, mind and soul.

Hi Mike,
    I think I may know of the stream you're talking about. At least a friend of mine described one to me that is out that way, but I've not checked it out yet (and currently can't recall the name of the stream, but you turn onto a road of the same name to get there! Like that helps)

Anyway, if you go to the Waihou, I've almost always picked one up in the right hand pool that's over the fence and by the car park (rather than the one to the left) by drifting size 12 or 14 soft hackles through it. There's a number of spots just along the walkway that I often find hard to pass by, but next time I go I'm going to force myself to explore further up river! ha!

Anyway, glad to hear you're back is on the mend.

- Jeff

Jeff, I have fished the stream a few times and it is normaly good, it would be very good with your 3wgt, anytime you want to come along you would be most welcome.
    All the best.
    Mike.
    P.s. The stream is called the Waiomou stream and you access it of the tauranga rd just before Old Te Aroha Rd there is good water both upstream and downstream from the bridge.

Hi Mike,

Ok, we're talking different streams as that name doesn't sound familear. Anyway, we should try and meet up for a fish one day. I'll be neck deep in exam marking soon, so probably won't make it out for awhile though, but we should sort something out as it could be a lot of fun.

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread