+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gheenoe Boat

Default Gheenoe Boat

Anyone have any experience with a Gheenoe Boat? Does it perform as advertised? Is it as stable in the water as the literature says?

Hey there ol Joe,
    Actually ain't never heard of the beast. But, welcome aboard. "Shirley" someone will respond and you'll have all the info you need.

Mark

old joe,

A Gheenoe boat and a Riverhawk boat are almost the same boat. I fished the Caney Fork river for 2 days in a Riverhawk and fell in love with the boat. My research showed that the Gheenoe and the Riverhawk are very much alike. They will do everything that the advertisement claims. They are very stable and very difficult to turn over. I think you would have to really try hard to get one to turn over. The only reason I sold mine was that most of the time I fish by myself and the boat is too much for one person to load and unload unless you own a trailer and then you are limited to where you can fish on a river because you need to be able to back the boat and trailer into the river. The 13' is the smallest they make and it weighs in around 110 pounds. If you are fishing lakes and ponds and have access to a ramp to load and unload, you will love the Gheenoe. With no ramp or no one to assist you with carrying the boat to and from the water, you may want to reconsider. Overall, they are very good boats and a joy to use.

You might check out the "Paddling" section on this BB and you may get more info from others.

They are good boats--they will do everything the ads claim--they are just too heavy for one to load and unload without a trailer.

These are only my opinions.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Great boats. Well made, very stable and will handle an electric motor beautifully.

Jim Smith

My uncle had a Gheenoe boat. Boy oh boy was it heavy. And the price $$$$. I got me a Old Town Guide and bought pontoons. My setup costed 3 times less than a Gheenoe and weighs alot less.

Martin

The Gheenoe is really more of a boat than a canoe. They have a lot of fans as flats boats on the gulf coast. There is a Gheenoe forum here.http://www.customgheenoe.com/

And if the Gheenoe reports distress you take a look at SportsPal/Radisson boats. This past spring I purchased the 14' canoe which weighs 41 lbs. Sponsons and a foam interior make it practically unsinkable, quiet, and it paddles or rows easily. Since my wife and I are well into our 70s I also bought a 30 lb thrust electric motor and a 45 lb. deep cycle battery. The battery lasts all day, and more, the small motor pushes us quite quickly, certainly as fast as I'm interested in traveling, and we're very pleased with the whole rig. Flips to the top of the car easily. HTH.
    Good luck with your choice.

Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

Old Joe, I bought the 16 ft camo version in 1980 and am still using it. I bought it for duck hunting and I am still using it. I believe it weighs in at 120 lbs. more with the anchor and paddles plus the extras in the middle seat. I have fished out of it and was standing while casting. I use a 4 hp and a 10 hp motor on the transom. When I bought it the rep in Mo. had been down to Florida where they make and test them. They had put a 35 hp motor on it and went out into the ocean. It ran just fine. Just to be safe when meeting a larger boat I make sure I angle into their wake. I don't shoot standing up in the boat but sitting down I shoot a 12 ga and have no problems. Over all it is quite a stable boat.
    I don't even remember what I paid for it and do not know the price of a new one now. With a 10 hp motor I have loaded the boat with 2 people and a dog with all the duck hunting gear that goes along with the sport. I just hauled it up to the Squaw Creek area Friday for this years waterfowl hunting. A small 600 buck trailer will haul it fine. I just hauled my rig up to Squaw Creek for this seasons waterfowl hunting. Good luck on your choice of boats.

+ Reply to Thread