+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CDC Problem

Default CDC Problem

tied up a few flies withCDC the other day, and went to try them out an they sank. What went wrong? isn't CDC supposed to always float? i read through some of Al Campbells tying with CDC articles and can't figure out what happened. I did not add flotant or other liquids. did i maybe not use enough CDC? hope you can help me out

Warm Water

Hi,

What size hooks are you using? Are the hooks a light wire (i.e. a dry fly hook) or heavier guage (for sub-surface, or wet flies)? And, what pattern are you tying up? Does it use a copper wire rib, or something that might add extra weight?

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

size 16 light wire
    Al's too simple mayfly dry

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampb ... 41904.html

I'm using floss instead of punch yarn could that be it?

Matt

Hi,

Well, I'm no expert, and I've not used CDC myself. Still, a size 16 light wire hook should be ok I would think so I doubt that is the problem.

A bushy body helps trap air bubbles, which aids floatation, so it could be the floss body as it would produce a slimmer profile to cut through the surface tension, and it would not trap any air, and so would add less to the floatation.

Provided you're using an amount of CDC similar to that in the pattern instructions, then I would guess the floss body is the problem for the above reason. Tie up one with the punch yarn body, and see if that works. If you don't have punch yarn, then dub the body with hare's mask, or wool, or any other "bushy" dubbing material.

- Jeff

5. Default

What about your leader size and/or presentation, type of water?

did not FF with them yet, I tested them in sink

Hi,

Beaverkill54 makes some good points! Were the flies sinking right away (first cast) or were they just eventually getting waterlogged and sinking? Was the water broken, riffles, or a smooth glide? Since I don't have any CDC flies, I'm not sure how they react in such conditions, but rough water can drown any dry fly. Riffles and such can also break the surface tension, making it difficult for a fly to stay suspended in the surface film.

Presentation can make a difference too. For example, if the presentation causes the fly to smash down on the water surface, it may just be getting forced under. I know I have to sometimes remember to ease back and delicately drop the fly rather than just smash it down.

- Jeff

P.S. I swear when I wrote this your post on testing them in the sink wasn't there!

WWFF,

Usually on a sz.16 dry I will use three tips of CDC and I will try not to use the stem of a feather. To avoid the stem simply cut off the tip anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 inch and then pull up the fibers below the cut and there should be ample amount for making a fly float. I also use Frogs Fanny with the CDC -- I know you don't have to but it sure helps 'em ride high.

After catching a fish you'll need to wipe off the CDC with something (shirtsleeve, rag etc.) to get off the slime; fish will really gunk it up. Dry off the fly as good as possible, apply more Frogs Fanny, work it into the feather, and you are good to go.

With smaller flies I can usually get by with two feathers.

Good luck.

GReg

I use alot of cdc ... loop wing emergers under wings and parachute posts.That said I would imagine its the floss soaking up water or to heavy a wire hook .Try putting floatant on the body ... I never use floatant it on the cdc .After a fish has slimed my fly i usually rinse it ,spit on it, rinse it again ,pinch the water out on a samadou pad and shake in desiccant to dry .

Quote Originally Posted by Warm Water Fly Fisher
    I'm using floss instead of punch yarn could that be it?
    Yes, that could be your problem. Unlike floss, punch yarn traps a lot of air and that pattern appears to need the boyancy of a body that has a lot of trapped air. CDC is not foam and there is not a lot of it in that pattern.

+ Reply to Thread