+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new book (furlers and historians)

Default new book (furlers and historians)

Hi,

Just opened the pages of The Fly-Fisher's Craft: The Art and History by Darrel Martin to find an entire chapter on horse-hair lines and leaders (furled, plaited, and otherwise).

Looks like it will be a neat read. I'm no historian, but the chapters on hooks, etc., look back into historic times and seem very interesting at first glance.

Kat

Darrell Martin is arguably my favorite FF'ing author.

3. Default

Kathy,

I saw you make some real nice furled leaders at the Catskill Cane Gathering this year. Have you ever worked with other materials like horse hair?

Default furled leader materials

Hi,

Nice to "see" you here! And what a beautiful web site you have. I just read your bio/tribute to my friend Poul - he would have liked it, I think.

I have tried horse hair. I had one with me at the Catskill gathering, should've brought it out. I've tried silk, gel-spun, mono, floro, and a host of materials from craft shops, etc. For what I do, I really like UniThread, but there are a lot of good use-specific choices.

I've just gathered some Morgan horse gelding tail hair, "blond", and in much longer strands than those I've knotted together (thanks so much to our FAOL friends for the original strands, though). I think I'll like it better. I use the Walton's engine method, but I think I'll read this new book and see what maybe looks best/better.

Kat

+ Reply to Thread