+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First rod update ..

Default First rod update ..

Allan received the blank and kit on Thursday Friday evening Allan came over and we assembled the reel seat and reamed the cork to fit the blank.Pretty straight forward concept...Measure everything 2 times and double check everything .. no problems.Decided I wanted gold accent wraps so now I am just practicing wrapping on an old arrow waiting for the thread to come ... messed around using gold tinsel as inlay wraps and accents.I didn't think it turned out to bad.I am pretty sure with Allan Podells help this rod is going to be great start to a new addiction ... Oh did I mention that I ordered a rod turning kit with drying motor tapered reamers and line finisher all the bells and whistles...early x-mas present .

Horray for you!! Welcome to another addiction!

Allan Podell is an absolute wealth of knowledge, both with fly rod building and fly tying. You will not find a better single source of information anywhere. Please tell him I miss him, and that I send hugs his way.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Horray for you!! Welcome to another addiction!

Allan Podell is an absolute wealth of knowledge, both with fly rod building and fly tying. You will not find a better single source of information anywhere. Please tell him I miss him, and that I send hugs his way.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Rod

Man, just hearing about building a new rod is getting me all fired up to get this Bamboo rod rebuilt!

HMMMMMM still waiting on the building kit I ordered from cabelas ... apparently back order is another word for mail order limbo...Diane has loaned me a rod turner and dryer kit.I have wrapped the butt section of the rod 4 times but don't like the lil fuzzies I keep getting .... keep cutting it off and starting over.

Default first rod

NYAngler, make yourself an alchohol birner too burn off fuzzies. If you can find an old glass baby food jar or another of similar size, drill a smallhole in lid. Take a cotton ball and pull apart, then roll it between your hands to make a wick. Make it long enough to reach bottom of jar and come up through lid about 1/4 inch. Fill 1/2 way with denatured alchohol. When its lit hold blank between hands and roll blank over flame. Doesnt take long and it will take care of fuzzies. If its too hot for your hands too hot for blank. Looking forward too pics

Default Fuzzies

NY Angler,
    If you are using a thread tensioning device which runs the thread between two washers, this could be increasing your fuzzies. With silk it is so bad that you just can't use that sort of tension-er at all.
    That aside , some fuzzies are inevitable. The alcohol lamp is the only answer. Lighters are too dirty. Alcohol is clean. You almost can't move over the flame fast enough. It doesn't take much heat to singe the fuzzies and just a bit more will melt /discolor your thread.
    I built a lamp with the babyfood jar. I found a brass shell casing, pistol I think, at the local gun range which was just the right size for an oil lamp wick I bought at the local hdwr. store. It worked but it was such a pain in the neck to adjust the wick , I bought a lamp from one of the rod supply houses. $10 if I remember right.
    AgMD

Hmmmmmmmmmm had the entire butt section re wrapped tonight ...looked good except the stripper guide feet needed to be filed down som more ... just looked like its perched on top not part of the rod ... sooooooooo we stripped it off and going to sleep on it .. before I do something rash like remove all the rest and start over .At this rate I may have to order more thread....

OHHHHHHHHH K Here we are rod is wraped alll but the tip top waiting on a new tip top because the one that came doesnt fit.I will post picks when I get tip top on ..... stilll in mailorder limbo on my rod building kit from Cabelas.. This is not looking good for repeat orders.

Rod wrapping kit still in limbo but I recieved a nice e mail telling me nothing other than Cabelas customer service has no clue when the order will be filled or as to when it is to be delivered.That said the company that I bought my rod kit from has sent a new tip top to fit and the color preserver I planned to order .. free of charge ! And it was here in 2 days .Now I know they are not a sponser but its Neils fishing tackle. Now thats customer service ! If this is wrong of me to post JC or LF let me know and I will edit .

+ Reply to Thread