+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fly casting distance for beginer

1. Default fly casting distance for beginer

My wife just got me a fly rod. orvis zero gravity, I have not fly fished since I was a kid. what is a decent distance i should be casting. My intentions is to use the rod to fish for red fish... so far my cast are about 45 to 50 ft... for some reason i don't think that is very good....

Default That's plenty far

If you are casting over 30', you are doing great. When I first started, I marked my line at 10', 20', and 30'. I stayed between 20 and 30 for quite awhile. That is what my Orvis instructor suggested. I have rarely had to cast more than 50' and don't forget, you need as much space behind as in front. On a small stream, you usually won't have that much room. When you fly fish from a boat or tube on lakes or ponds, you can get the boat close to where you want to fish. Unless you are after incredibly spooky fish (on the flats for Bones), the distance won't be that great. Concentrate on accuracy and ENJOY!!!
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

I agree, however, keep practising, that is the whole key. It's like a loaded gun, hopefully you won't need it, but you got it if you do.
    I have never fished for reds (YET!) but I think there would be times you need that little extra, which I am sure you can achieve with more practise. That is one thing about FF, the learning never stops.

45 to 50 feet is not good. There may be a problem with your rod. I would suggest you send it to me and i'll give it a thorough going over. This process might take some time...maybe months.

thirdyearflyfisher.com

I think that 50' is suggested as a minimum distance reccommended for successful saltwater fishing. Add into that the wind (which may help or hinder) and then ACCURACY. Distance is second to accuracy. If you are getting 50' now, keep up a regular practice schedule and then, when you are comfortable with your consistency and accuracy add a single haul then a double haul. This should get you to a 70' range with accuracy without too much strain on the brain (or the arm) in no time flat.

Let us know how you progress.

More important than all of that, WELCOME to the site.

jed

how far do you think you'll need to cast?
    I recently bought a fly rod that's designed to cast ~45 feet. If you need to get the whole line out to the fish (as opposed to soothing your ego) you may need to experiment with a FAST rod. Timing, casting stroke, strength are all to be changed.
    So, if you're looking to catch fish you're doing just fine. If you're looking for distance... keep practicing.
    I used to teach beginner's classes & used the Hercules method... Hercules did not gain his great strength over night. He would lift the same calf every day. Every day that calf would weigh more than the day before...
    Later,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Later, Peter
    how far do you think you'll need to cast?
    I recently bought a fly rod that's designed to cast ~45 feet. If you need to get the whole line out to the fish (as opposed to soothing your ego) you may need to experiment with a FAST rod. Timing, casting stroke, strength are all to be changed.
    So, if you're looking to catch fish you're doing just fine. If you're looking for distance... keep practicing.
    I used to teach beginner's classes & used the Hercules method... Hercules did not gain his great strength over night. He would lift the same calf every day. Every day that calf would weigh more than the day before...

Later Peter, the Zero is a fast rod. I just got the 9' 6wt mid flex 7.5 and it is FAST. I bought it to replace the TL9'6" mid 8.0 I had stolen and this is a faster rod than that.
    I know the rod can do it, I can pick up and lay down 60' with no problem at all.
    Later,
    Peter

You will need to learn the double-haul or you will not be able to fish for reds. Find a qualified instructor. We teach it in thirty seconds at the 'Fish In's for free. It's not 'Brain Science" nor 'Rocket Surgery".

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    You will need to learn the double-haul or you will not be able to fish for reds. Find a qualified instructor. We teach it in thirty seconds at the 'Fish In's for free. It's not 'Brain Science" nor 'Rocket Surgery".

AMEN!

A rod that pricy should cast for you
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread