+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Filson Rucksack

Default Filson Rucksack

Anyone have experience with the Filson Rucksack? I am attracted to the retro appeal of the pack. I plan to use it around town, on day hikes and on short day hikes to mountain lakes teaming with trout! But my question is whether the pack is all style and no function? Thanks.

I haven't used the rucksack, but other Filson stuff I have used has been practical and rugged.

For What It's Worth,
    Adam

I have a few Filson bags like the field bags and briefcase. The quality is unsurpassed but if you want features like multiple compartments with zippers, Velcro, hydration bladders, water bottle holders and other stuff there are better options out there.

The material the bag is made of is TOUGH heavy duck canvas but it is cotton so it will fade and fray with use over time. but heck, that's character. The leather Filson uses is top quality so it deserves a little care. And Filson customer service should you ever need it, is great!

For the application you are describing I think it would work just fine and would be a lot classier than some hokey Orvis or Simms backpack with zinger attachments, ripple foam, lumbar support, optional chest pack, optional signal lights, BB-Q grill, and drinks dispenser.

When I see that rucksack I think of Gierach and A.K. hiking in the mountains with a coffee pot and small cast iron skillet in the back compartment.

I'd go for it!

Man, their stuff is ferociously expensive, but I have never been disappointed. I have a couple Filson hats and a briefcase. All are rugged and extremely well-made.

I wish they made a little fishing bag, a la Chapman or Hardy.

I saw this one is a LLBean catalog....looks good, considerably cheaper than the Filson

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... ch&feat=sr

I have the rucksack that buzz points out from the bean catalogue. I use it as a daypack, a weekend pack, and a pack for hauling stuff around town.

It suits my needs perfectly.

(I got the largher of the 2....2000 cubic inches)

Best,
    Black Gnat

Check out www.duluthpack.com
    I have a couple of their rucksacks (the "Rambler" is my favorite) and really like them. Good quality construction at a reasonable price.

Bryan

$225.00??? For a Filson Rucksack! Man, wouldn't you rather put that towards a ROSS Evolution reel or someth'in more substantial.

Get the $65.00 flask if your still thinking bout it. It'll improve your fishing.
    Regards,

Jose

><((((0>

Yea, its a lot of money. I was going to use the cash I got for my 50th birthday to buy something special that I'd never be able to afford on my own.

+ Reply to Thread