+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ferrule Wrap Problem

Default Ferrule Wrap Problem

I just returned from a very successful 6 day trip fishing for Great Lakes Salmon and while cleaning up and stowing my equipment I noticed this spot on the first ferrul up from the butt on my 9'-9" 8wt 3-piece St Croix LU (SCIV) that I built about 4 years ago. It appears that the rod flexure caused the wrap/epoxy to stretch and when returned to it's natural state creating a "bubble".

Is this something I need to be concerned about from the stand point of the structural integrity of the rod? Is this the point of impending rod faliure? Would you cut the wrap off and re-wrap and if so would you add an underwrap of white silk for greater strength?

Thanks for your comments!

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/wat...IV_Ferrule.jpg

Yes, it does mean you have a potential failure. You need to determine if the female ferrule has split and, if so, how badly. If the split is right at the edge and no farther, you could try to salvage it by unwrapping, rubbing some slow cure epoxy glue into the split(s)(cleaning up the excess), then wrapping as close to the edge as possible (which is the correct way anyway), then overwrapping the first quarter inch or so. You might consider underwrapping the first quarter inch with kevlar fly tying thread (doesn't stretch), but don't put so much pressure on the blank that you crush it. Doing all this may get you some more seasons out of the rod before it fails. Since the usual reason this happens is that the ferrule wasn't wrapped close enough to the edge or with enough tension, or was cast/flexed before the ferrules were wrapped and finished--or both, you ought to take a hard look at other ferrules on the rod. This is a common beginning rod builder mistake, but it has happened to most of us.

Thanks for the reply! I hadn't thought about Kevlar tying thread before but do have an ample supply on hand. I have never done an underwrap before, do you put a very light coat of epoxy over the underwrap before doing the overwrap?

Yes, just enough to lock the kevlar thread down and seal it so the nylon won't cut between the wraps and so you get a thorough penetration with the final coat. I've used kevlar before on new construction (not a repair). In that case, just eight or ten wraps at the very edge without an overwrap (nylon or silk abuts the kevlar) provides a good reinforcement for the most vulnerable spot on the rod. Some builders mount a nickle silver trim band at the edge of the ferrule to accomplish the same thing, but it has to fit perfectly.
    -CC

I have used white GSP thread instead of kevlar for such a repair.

GSP thread is as strong as kevlar, plus it will turn transparent with epoxy finish.

It somewhat slippery and can be difficult to get a wrap started, but I think it will make a less visible repair.

+ Reply to Thread