+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a new comer's quesion.

1. Default Just a new comer's quesion.

Hi, everyone,
    I am a new to tying flies. I have a question about the fly patterns. What in the world how to know if one pattern is The Adams and the other is Royal Wulff. In other words, I am really confused about these: what is The Adams? what is Royal Wulff? And what is who knows what! I can understand the dry flies, wet flies, Nymphs and Streamers, but I always can't a clue about how to define these pattern names.
    Could some of you give me some advices?

Thanks very much.

these are just two very popular dry flies

here is the royal wulff:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... art19.html

here is the adams dry fly:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... art18.html

while you are there, i would suggest reading through all of the beginning articles archived on this site. IMO better than any book.

the adams was the first dry fly i learned to tie. i don't know if i've ever actually tied a royal wulff (my brother always ties enough of them that i get his spares).

Default I thought that is why Google was invented.

enter the name of the fly in Google (or your favourite search engine) and more than one link to the pattern will appear - or at least a picture of one.

The short answer is "welcome to the club". It is confusing and without logic as anyone inventing a fly can name it what they want. A Gold Ribbed Hares Ear Nymph tells you someting of its name, a Hornberg does not, nor does an Adams or a million other common fly names. Learn a few of the most common or universal flies that you might use and some of the others will come in time. If that little brown fuzzy thing with a little green collar up front seemed to work, look for more of the same. The fish don't know the names either.

Books help, time and experience help but it is nothing to loose any sleep over.

jed

The Adams

Royal Wulff, also known as Hairwing Royal Coachman, originally name "Quacks Coachman" for it originator Q.L. Quackenbush.

The two fly patterns have nothing in common other than the hook. ~Parnelli

Welcome to the FAOL BB. I might confuse you now, their are three types of adams. They are the Adams Wulff, Adams, and the Adams Female. There are also four different parachute adams. Theres the Adams parachute, the HiVis Adams Parachute, the Para Wulff Adams, and the CDC parachute Adams. Have fun tying, I hope I didn't confuse you to much.

Warm Water

Sorry, i forgot the adams irresistible, and the Moose Mane Adams.

Warm Water

Get yourself a good pattern book such as Flies: The Best One Thousand by Randy Stetzer. It has pictures and recipes for 1000 different fly patterns. There are many similar books available.

Quote Originally Posted by Warm Water Fly Fisher
    Sorry, i forgot the adams irresistible, and the Moose Mane Adams.

Warm Water
    And don't forget the other Adams Family; Herman, Lilly, Eddie, Grandpa, Thing....

Sorry, it was just too "Irresistible." Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha....

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

10. Default

So, the pattern's name are just named by their inventor or by the convention of the people? Thanks Jed for the information about the names. Right now, I really get confused about them! There are just no standard to categorize the flie's pattern? I think, the book Flies: The Best One Thousand by Randy Stetzer might be good. But I do want to get some book about how to distinguish the difference patterns. Is there a this kind of book? For example, I want to know what the Adams Family has in common? And what the Royal Wulff Familly has in common?... and so on

+ Reply to Thread