+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About that note on my windshield on the Unc Friday...

Blog Entries

Default About that note on my windshield on the Unc Friday...

Thank you for your concern, but I think you got the wrong person.

Got to the river, discovered a whole slew of cars in the parking lots, and decided to fish anyway. Found a couple runs without other folks in them, said helo to a couple guides and clients, walked around quite a few other anglers, watched one lady spinfisher drop a brown on the rocks, squeeze it to death, and drip blood on the ground while they looked for the camera, and decided not to say anything. Did catch some fish in amongst all that as well. Quite a few, actually.

6-ish, tired of downpours and running out of river to fish, I hiked back through the picnic area to my truck, in the almost-deserted parking lot, whereupon I see a note tucked under the windshield wiper.

It is catch and release hear (their spelling, not mine) you dingbat! You're busted!!!! (Written on an orvis flyer.)

Oooookay. Looking back on the previous couple hours, I tried to think if I had neglected to put a fish back in the water. Nope. I think the last one I kept was the steelhead that Eric ate last fall, Thanksgiving-ish.

So, whoever left me the note, next time you might want to make sure that you actually have the right vehicle, or you could always talk to the person. If you are really upset, go get the ranger and bring them back in person.

That really takes a lot of courage to BUST someone with a note on their windshield.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Yup, that proves it...there are idiots amongst even us flyfishermen! It's truly a shame that they took the time to write the note, but decided it wasn't worth their time to actually TALK to the offender (whoever that may have been).

Regards,
    Joe Martin

DG, RW here,

Im up here on the Salmon River in New York trying to catch a King Salmon on a one-weight. Learned one thing. It can't be done. Lots of hookups. Score: Salmon - 15, RW - 0. Still trying for the elusive 7-pound steelie on same rod. If you can do it, I can do it.

My son did catch a beautiful 15-pound coho (cockfish) in full spawning colors on a 5 weight. Still trying in New York.

Later, RW
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

I dont think it was the flyfishermen who made the note...

My guess is on the lady with the spinning gear!!!

Hi,
    You know, this just sounds to me like it was kids who weren't fishing at all. Just having some kicks. I wouldn't have been surprised if they left notes on a number of cars, figuring they may just "bust" some people by chance. Someone may have been placing off the Orvis flyers and the kids took advantage of that, etc.

Of course, I'm just guessing at this, since nobody here saw the note being placed. But, if we have to guess at why it was placed, I prefer a more lighthearted guess!

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

7. Default

Hey Guy's,

Did anyone think that it could have been someone from PETA! Or some other conservation based organization. They were trying to intimidate people by placing the note(s) to cars in the area. A passive/agressive attempt to propogate their message of "fishing is torture to the fish".

Just a thought!

+ Reply to Thread