+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1 piece blanks or rods

Default 1 piece blanks or rods

We know that producing multi-piece self ferruling graphite rods requires multiple mandrels and increases the cost over a 1 piece rod.

As a result we see a lot of 1 piece spinning and casting rods in lengths up to 7.5 feet. There are claims that these 1 piece rods have better action too. How come I do not see anything similar with shorter fly rods? Or am I missing something?
    Bear742

If you break one section on a one piece rod, you've broken the whole rod. If you break one section on a 2 (or more) piece rod, you can just replace that section without having to replace the whole rod.

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

We have a couple one piece 9' rods. One a fly rod, one a conventional rod, both Fenwick blanks. In their day, they were supposed to have the best feel and the most ability to telegraph a bite to your hand.
    They are also a nusiance unless you own your own boat or use a camper for fishing.
    ....lee s.

I have often said that if it were not for having to transport them, I would love to have an arsenal of 1 piece rods. there are some out there but man o man try paying just the postage on getting one shipped to ya!!! much less getting it back and forth to the river (or stream or lake, or what ever)

Let's say the grail is the perfect fly rod. I think it would be one piece because ferrules introduce imperfections. First they are flat spots in the otherwise smooth flex of the rod. Second, they are a way that guides can get out of line. Third, they introduce stresses that promote breakage. Now I am surprised to see Knights of the Long Rod bow out of the quest for expediency in transportation. Would a Knight of the Round Table joust with a 4 piece travel lance?

Meanwhile, our Bubba Knights appear more discriminating with their choice of one piece rods for cranking, flipping, and pithcing for bass. They are eloquent in proclaming the smooth action of their one piece rods. BTW they go up to tye 7.5 ft max that their tournaments allow though I am sure some might go further if allowed. They live with the transportation nightmare.

When I started this thread, I really had smaller 0-4 weight 6.5 to 7.5 fly rods in mind for one piece treatment. These would fit inside large cars though I am sure that Yakima would come up with a case for rods much longer if the market was there.

Of course really high rollers would not worry about transportation. Keep the rod at "the camp." Or have the traffic manager ship it ahead for the spring outing.

Anyway, in tune with my quest for the grail, I would like to hear more about your experiences with one piece rods.

Thanks
    Bear742

Default One Piece Rods

I would prefer one piece fly rods. Just don't know where to get them or their blanks. Assumed there weren't any and didn't even look on websites for them. I will look now. Would really like to build some one piece rods.

Gemrod

Well Bear....you asked for it where would you like it shipped?

http://niemieraflyrods.com/

Bamboo Fly Rods

Model: Brookie Order Form

Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge Click to Enlarge

Pieces : 1 piece (special order 6' 0") or 2 piece

Cane Treatment : Flamed or Blond

Rod Lengths & Line Weights : refer below

Hardware: Nickel Silver or Blued

Reel Seat: Down-Locking SlideBand

Reel Seat Spacers: Maple Burl or Cork

Cork Grip Handles: Garrison Grip

Silk Colors: Green

Tipping Wraps at Guides: Available

Agate Guides & Tip-Tops: Available

These delightful small stream fly rods are 2 piece rods, but the 6' 0" is also available as a special order one piece rod.

http://www.kaneklassics.com/

THE "FREE STONE" BAMBOO FLY ROD SERIES

This series of bamboo rods is named after the wild and clear-running "Free Stone" streams of the western United States. Custom made by hand, they include hand-planed tapers of flame-hardened bamboo and are available in three actions: slow, medium, or fast. "Free Stone" rods come with two tips, slip-ring reel seat with American Black walnut wood insert, nickel silver hardware and aluminum rod case with protective rod bag. "Free Stone" options allow the fly fisherman to personalize the rod.
    "Free Stone" Options
    Nickel Silver "Blueing"
    Extra Tip Section
    Measuring Tape Labeled on Rod
    Leather Rod Case Bag
    Up or Down Locking Reel Seat

Size Line Sections
    5' 3 1 pc.
    5 1/2' 3 1 pc.
    6' 3 1 pc.
    6 1/2' 3 1 pc.

Thanks Dleo,

Now we are getting somewhere in that we know who's making 1 piece rods. Now I would like to hear from someone who is using them.
    Bear742

I am sure there are some folks out there that do or have used 1 piece fly rods, maybe JC or Deanna??

I have been fly fishing a long long time, and have used a lot of different fly rods and different types of fly rods. Bamboo, fiberglass, graphite, greenheart, even a steel fly rod once upon a time. There was a point in time...maybe 20 years ago..possibly 25, when a 1 piece fly rod would have offered some significant advantages in the "feel" of the cast, or when one had a fish on. But with the technology that is out there today, quite honestly, I wonder if the ends would justify the means?

I just built a Sage Z Axis, 9' 5wt, and if a one piece would outperform it, I can only ask myself, in what way?

+ Reply to Thread