+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping a guide

Default Tipping a guide

Was looking at some guide services and the thought hit, what is the proper % to tip a guide if he has done a good job? Just curious as I am always very uncomfortable and do not want to be embarrassed or over tip a guide. Anyone have a "rule of thumb" to follow?

If your guide does a good job and you're paying $350-$400 for the day a tip of $50.00 to $100.00 is pretty standard, more is not unheard of. You shouldn't tip at all if your guide sucks.

As a guide, I have been tipped everywhere from $5.00 to $100.00 per day. Funny, but we caught more fish and had a better day on the $5.00 day, but it was with two new anglers. I really don't think they knew a tip was a good thing.

I go just like an eatery.... 20% or more if they are VERY good and down from there if they were not.

K

Is that pretty much standard regardless whether the guide is in business for himself, or contracts out of a fly shop?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

that's a good question. If the guide has his own business, and I'm already paying him $50 and hour to take me fishing, I don't see the need to add another $10 per hour...

From my observations, when a guide works for a fly shop or outfitter, he seldom will get even 50% of the daily fee so a tip of 20% when he's good certainly isn't being the big spender.

------------------
    Snow on the roof with fire in the hearth

Being a retired guide and outfitter I would suggest you make sure that you get a good guide before worrying about tipping one. That is a problem now days. To many people wanting to be instant guides and really don't know much about it. Not saying they don't have a right to guide they just need time on a river to be a good guide.
    It is getting harder and harder to get a good one. Most of the best ones are booked far in advance. So if you can get in with one do so.
    Ask question's like "How long have you been guiding"? "How long will we be on the water"? Ask for references and make sure you follow through calling them.
    If a guide takes you out and is giving you 8 hours and that is it he isn't much of a guide. I never was off the water until the client said so. That means we were on at between 8:00 and 9:00 Am and got off at dark thirty if that is what they wanted. It is called guiding on a river not on saltwater were a tide comes into effect. And you have a $30,000.00 boat to pay for.
    With the cost of gas now days if a guide gives you a good days work then he should get a good tip. If he wants off after 8 hours then his tip would be very small if it were me. Same if he didn't do his job the way he should.
    Before I retired I was an expensive guide I got $350.00 a day plus gas if it was out of my area. That when most guides were getting about $290.00. But I had all the clients that I needed or wanted because I busted my butt working for them. I guided the Missouri for the last 5 years that I guided and avaraged $50.00 a day in tips. We got on at about 8:00 and off at dark. That is the way a good guide should work. I would also get on in the dark in hot weather and get off at about 11:00 then back on after the heat, and off at dark.
    I bet I am making some guides mad here but I am sorry, people pay to be guided and should be guided fare. I also bet there is a lady here that knows just what I am saying. I am sure she has been there done that. Ron

[This message has been edited by RonMT (edited 04 May 2005).]

nope not making anyone mad here thats for sure a good guide is priceless
    when I mate for a friend we ave $75.00 for a 6 hr charter on the great lakes, on the drift boat ave $50 to $70 for a 1/2 day some days more some less

You may pay a guide $50 per hour. Subtract cost of flies, lines, rods, boat and motor, gas license and insurance... I would not work for that price. Heck it might even cost them money to guide. I think that 20% is a fair tip, plus if they are absolutely fabulous, less if they are less than acceptable.

jed

Thanks to all of you who responded and now I have a better idea of what is appropriate. I was always uncomfortable with my tipping, especially with the good guides. Now I realize what I tipped was the same as most of you.

Also, thanks to RonMT for the information based on his experiences. Sounds like you are the type of guide all of us would want to work with. I appreciate the advise and your willingness to share the information.

+ Reply to Thread