+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question - line to leader connection

Default Question - line to leader connection

I have been using plastic connectors called "Cast connectors" and they are fine but can break down - they are plastic you know. That being said, I purchased some cortland loop connectors but no leaders yet. The reason I am waiting is because the connector is hi-vis chartreuse and I want to be stealthy. So - what are other folks using to connect line to leader?

Been using some white loops and magic markering them. We still use a lot of nail knotted mono butt sections w/ a loop in that. ....lee s.

Lee - have you used the loop to loop connectors? If yes, did you like them? Good tip - I might be able to black out the chartreuse.

pa -
    You must apply heat to shrink the sleeves down on the Cortland loops - perhaps too high for your flyline?? It also makes it very stiff. A better choice [in my opinion] is Orvis loops. They use super glue to lock the sleeve down and the sleeve is shorter. Doesn't stiffen up your connection so much.

That said, I've been using the Whitlock's super glue "center of the line" connection system. No pull-out problems yet and it really rolls over nicely.

Donald

I use just a plain old Nailless Nail Knot for flyline to a heavy butt section. I use loop to loop on my saltwater outfit. I don't like to use loop to loop or connectors on my fresh water outfits due to slime, algae, and other crud that fouls large loops and connectors. So I try to use small and hopefully very few (two I think, flyline to butt section, Albright Special for butt section to light tippet section) knots for knotted leaders. I don't use a mid or middle section on my fresh water leaders. Ideally a knotless commercial tapered leader would probably be best for me and I do use them from time to time.

Best of luck.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"

[This message has been edited by dixieangler (edited 06 May 2005).]
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Hey that's neat, JC. I'm going to have to try that sometime on the loop for my saltwater leader .

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

On this side of the pond I use AMBER LEADER LOOPS made by WOVENCREST Ltd. Never had one let me down yet.

"P",
    We do not like the heat shrink tubing either. We use a small nail knot to secure the loop end. You can buy the braided mono "runnuing line" and have enough to make your own loops AND your buddie's loops for years. Have to admit to using them only on our heavier stuff. We have heard of one person who uses them on light stuff that says he applies floatant to the braid.....?
    Castwell's knot looks grand.....looks like a knot we learned in Boy Scouts (WAY back). I think it was a sheet bend....?
    ......lee s.

JC That knot is great! Its all I use now. It hasnt failed on me yet. Nice quick and easy yet very strong.

I used the Cortland loops for years, did have some problems namely that they sink and one came apart on me when on the Colorado river a long way from a tackle shop. I now use a similar but smaller loop made by Raymond Mosher in Austria and available in the US from E. Hille Angler Supply in Pennsylvania. They work great!

+ Reply to Thread