+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Going to Destin in a week

Default Going to Destin in a week

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be in Destin on a family vacation October 7 - 14, and plan to bring my gear to fly fish.

I'm a hardcore trout bum and striper hunter here in TN, and have never fished salt. That said, I'm planning to bring my 6wt, 8wt, and another 8wt bamboo (south bend), along with a herd of clousers, deceivers, arkansas bucktails, crease flies, and a kayak. I'll have a floating line (cortland 444 pike musky taper - great with large flies), and a shooting head with either full sink or intermediate options.

What's the fishing like in Destin? Should I fish the bays or the surf? The local shop here is owned by a guy that used to live in Ft. Walton. He recommended not fishing the bays at all and just fishing the surf with a deceiver.

So, is my gear adequate for the fishing I want to do? I figured the 8wt is for sure, as I've used it to catch 20+ pound stripers with no problems.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Oh, and can someone give me the names of some good fly shops in the area?

Regards,
    Jeff

I'd say bring the 8wt. I was there on Wednesday and caught some blufish and a 26" redfish. That was fun. Fish the grass flats by the Coast guard station by the bridge. Also, go to half hitch tackle, they will give you good advice, buy a license there. They said it's better for reds in the morning. Everything I caught was on 21/2" - 3" clousers, lots of flash. I was actually catching the most fish on a clouser that was mangled, no eyes and very thin white bucktail with silver flash on top. I used sinking line also. The clouser's had 1/36 eyes, that made them easier to cast with the extra weight. Make sure your clouser's have the epoxy on them.

Starfish, My score last night with a fly rod in the bay north of Destin, wednesday, september 27, 2006. Red fish: between 10 and 15 inches= 6. Red fish: between 23 and 24 inches= 2. Trout= 0, Lady fish= 1, catfish=1. Line weight #8, fly= Shalimar Gold #6.
    Student on boat: Redfish; between 10 and 17 inches= 9, trout between 10 and 16 inches= 3, ladyfish= 2, lost fish=2. One broken tippet, one broken hook. Time of day: 5:30 to 8:30 pm. If you bringing a kayak I can almost garrentee you can catch fish in the bay or the surf, most likely both. I dont know whos told you what, but nobody has flyfished choctawatchee bay more years than I have. From bluegill to bull sharks its all here in the bay and bayous. Altho Id recomend you leave them bull sharks alone they can pull a kayak for miles. If you wish send me an Email and Ill try and give you a more complete picture of the realitys of flyfishing here. Id sure hate for an FAOLer to come to the Emerald Coast and miss some truly grand fishing opertunitys for lack of a little local knowledge.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

Jeff,You have heard from one of the best down here on the Emerald Coast. Capt. Paul Darby is a legend in this part of the south. Capt. Paul has taught me a thing or two.

Tony Angelino
    Keep Flyin & Tyin

Wow, thanks for the great information. So I guess that there's no reason to bring my 6wt.

Being that I'm a freshwater fisherman, and that is mostly bass and sunfish, which of the species that I will encounter will require careful handling? I'm used to just lipping a fish to release the hook, and I'd hate to find my thumb in a mess of needles. Catfish are catfish, and have to be carefully handled everywhere, but what about redfish, trout, and all the others? Are there fins or barbs that I need to watch out for?

I would love to be able to hire a guide for a day, but I can only afford one day, and my wife (who isn't a fisher) has made it quite clear that we're going use that day deep sea fishing (group charter, where they bait and clean for you), so I won't have that opportunity.

I guess that I need to buy a couple "toothy critter" leaders?

Captain Paul, I'll definitely be in touch. Thank you for the offer.

Regards,
    Jeff

Well gee, Starfish think your wife will let you slip off for a few hours of nite fly fishing if it dont cost ya anything? And you promise not to go to hooters for hot wings but actualy go fishing. I think I can arrange that, the fishing, not the hot wings part. The grouper trip your on your own there. As for the 6wt. Ya go ahead and bring it, if we get out youl see why.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

I love that area can't wait to get back. Be shure to stop in for dinner at Jakes Steakhouse. Have drinks at the Floribama.

Quote Originally Posted by qrrfish1
    Well gee, Starfish think your wife will let you slip off for a few hours of nite fly fishing if it dont cost ya anything? And you promise not to go to hooters for hot wings but actualy go fishing. I think I can arrange that, the fishing, not the hot wings part. The grouper trip your on your own there. As for the 6wt. Ya go ahead and bring it, if we get out youl see why.
    I spoke with the CRO (Chief Reality Officer) and got clearance for an outing. I sent you a PM about it. And, I'll definitely bring the 6wt too then!

Starfish

+ Reply to Thread