+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TFO TiCrX vs. St. Croix Legend Ultra???

Default TFO TiCrX vs. St. Croix Legend Ultra???

I'm in the market for a new 9' 5wt for larger rivers and ponds. I have cast a Temple Fork TiCrX and thought it was a sweet rod. My local fly shop doesn't carry them thought but they do carry St. Croix. I'm sure this will probably (hopefully) generate varied responses: Does anyone have opinions on the Legend Ultra compared to the TFO??? I have not test cast the LU but will do so before I buy. I respect the opinions of the kind folks on this board and just wanted some input.
    Thanks in advance,
    bd

------------------
    "Life is tough. Life is tougher if
    you're stupid"-
    John Wayne

Hi Bonedog,
    I own a St Croix LU in a 9ft/5wt and have been very pleased with the rod and the service from St. Croix. I broke the tip while fishing on a very cold day soon after I bought it. I can not offer a true comparison between 5 wts but I recently purchased a TFO in a 10 wt for saltwater fishing. I know both are products of reputable companies and that they will honor any dissatisfactions that might come up. I know this is only a part of what you are asking but I feel it is an important part.

Thanks, gerri, that is definitely an important part of what I'm asking. I do not want to spend this amount of money on a rod without good a good warranty. From what I've seen both are reputable.
    Tight lines,
    bd

I bought a TiCR 5-weight last spring, and then didn't register it. In August, I stupidly broke the tip retrieving a woolly bugger from a tree.

The TFO guy I talked to on the phone (may have been Rick Pope, but I'm not sure) was nice about it. He asked me where I bought it, and seemed to know the guys at the shop personally. He registered it for me, and then replaced the tip after I mailed in the rod. It probably took ten days to get it back. Of course, that's ten days of not being able to fish -- so I bought a $40 Plueger in the meantime. Actually, not bad for $40. We all need a back-up, don't we?

As far as performance goes, you have to take into account I'm not that great or experienced at fly casting, but I think the TiCR handles weight very well -- as in conehead WBs and weighted sculpins -- especially compared with the other 5-weights I've fished with. That would include a Sage DS2 (which I also now own).

This past weekend, however, I did have the TiCR in the hands of a guy who really can cast. He threw all 90' very easily, left and right curve casts around obstacles, beautiful tuck casts. It was very cool.

He thought I had made a good choice and that the TiCR would serve me well (his words). Of course, I made that choice mostly by accident. But I'm happy -- both with the rod and with TFO. I'm probably gonna buy another TFO this summer, but in a heavier weight.

That's not to put down anything else, but it's another data point for you.

[This message has been edited by BigFlatBrook (edited 05 May 2005).]

These two rods should not be compared to each other. The St Croix is one of the best rods built. Certainly a far better value for your dollar.

The TFO is a piece of asian built garbage.

Both rods are fast action. Are you sure that's what you want in a 5 wt?

The fittings on the St. Croix are superior to the TFO. And to echo others, the St. Croix is American made.

I fish with the Legend, my friend uses the TiCR, so I have used both. Both are fast action, but I believe the TFO is a tad faster, IMO.. The Ultra with throw anything the TFO can, but I'll hit 90ft with the TFO, 86ft with the Ultra. Go figure...lol But I luv my Ultra's and have 2 so far and am about to add a third, 7'6 4wt. (8'6 4wt and the 9' 5wt)

"asian built garbage"

Wow! That's a pretty ignorant thing to say, but so be it... That's definitely your opinion. Me? I'll take a Toyota over a Ford any day, and that's my opinion.

As for the rods. They're apples and oranges for sure. the Legend Ultra is a whole lot more expensive that the TiCr. If you're looking at value as I do, you can't ignore a TiCr. I have 4 TFO rods, one Series 1, one Professional, and two TiCrs - a 4wt and a 6wt.

I recently snapped my 6wt in half with a #2 Clouser on a windy day. I sent the rod in on a monday and emailed them to let them know to expect it, and it was back in my hands with a new section on that same Friday. That's outstanding customer service, asian or not. Considering that you can get a fabulous casting rod (and they are fabulous, IMO) with an unbeatable lifetime warranty for $210, I'll keep buying TFO. I can have two of them for the price of one Legend Ultra, and until I've got 10+ years of casting under my belt, I doubt that I'll be able to tell the difference.

That said, I would love to own a Legend Ultra.

Starfish

Thanks for all the input guys. I was comparing them in terms of knowing that both are fast actions. Didn't mean to start anything, I own 2 TFO Series One rods and one St. Croix rod already so I think both companies are reputable. Was just looking for input in regard to action. I sure did like the TiCrX when casting it a while back but I want to support my local fly shop and they are a St. Croix dealer. I will definitely test cast any rod I'm gonna buy.
    Thanks,
    bd

Yeah, I had a moderately *****ly response prepared, and then thought better of it. Mostly those posts speak for themselves and don't require a response.

In any case, tight lines with your new rod.

(Hey, FAOL automatically sensors your posts! Just so you know, *****ly is not an obscene word, and it's in the dictionary.)

[This message has been edited by BigFlatBrook (edited 06 May 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread