+ Reply to Thread

Thread: To all tying materials scroungers!

Default To all tying materials scroungers!

Just reminding newbies and those who tye on a budget that Halloween time is a great time to look for materials from costume items on markdown and throw away items from thier kids costumes. Saw lots of things in this year's offerings that would be useful for salt and panfish flies in my neck of the woods and probably where you are too ie: fluorescent hair, orange poly for indicators and various tinsels and feathers. Hope you will find something useful!

And this is the time of year that feathers become readily available for those tyers who are willing to exert a little time and effort to obtain them. What I am referring to is those feathers that can be gleaned from many of waterfowl and upland game birds that are harvested each fall.

If you do not hunt there are several ways you can get some of these feathers that would normally get thrown away. The most obvious is to talk to folks you know that hunt and ask them to save them for you. Another method that can be super productive is to visit a National Wildlife Refuge or similar place during hunting season. Take along a few flies and talk to the hunters. Offer to trade them some flies for the feathers. I visited to the Lower Klamath Wildlife Refuge a few years back and in the course of a couple of hours and a dozen flies I picked up enough duck feathers to last a long long time. (I ended up giving the feathers away, as I am a hunter - I just wanted to see if my idea would work).

Also squirrel tails and others furs are often free for the asking during the hunting season.

Tim Anderson

you can also start looking for Christmas tinsel. Some of the dollar stores here already have there Christmas things out.

Warm Water Fly Fisher

Can you say, "Dollar Store"? ~Parnelli

Dollar Store yeh think I can say it

I have a collection of halloween wigs that I use for many saltwater flys.
    Alot of matteral for a few bucks
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

After his Tiger Nymph, perhaps Hans Weilenmann will do a Werewolf Nymph for us, for Halloween.

If anybody could...

The wigs are good and at the post Holloween sale prices they go for practically nothing.

My favorite apr?s-Holloween item is the glow in the dark nail polish. The blue and the light green colors seem to glow the brightest.

+ Reply to Thread