+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rotorua Lakes

Default Rotorua Lakes

Hi,

I was on a club trip to the Rotorua Lakes this past weekend. Below is a link to a photo of a 1.5 kg, 50 cm (3.25 lbs, 19.6") hen rainbow, my only fish of the weekend (taken on a yellow cosseboom).

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g142/ ... _25lbs.jpg

This was caught, and released, in Lake Okataine. The fish put up almost no fight at all, and was a bit slabby. As she was still in her spawning colours, it appears she was just on the feed again. Despite not much of an effort to land her, it still required some effort to get her to swim off again, but eventually she did.

We fished Lake Rotorua near the Waiteti Mouth but no luck (apart from one fellow who landed a bra!) Apparently the Ngongatha Mouth is fishing well, but we didn't give that a try this time around.

We also fished Lake Rotoiti, and although a small rise occured at dawn and dusk, there wasn't a lot of action. However, I spotted some small olive mayflies around, as well as some caddis. So, expect the change of light rises to start heating up soon.

A large number of fish were caught at Lake Rerewhakaaitu by some of the novice members of the club. Most being taken on a smelt pattern that involved yellow of some sort (i.e. Parson's Glory and Yellow Dorothy's were both very popular). I tied some yellow "jelly beans", but no luck this time. Most of the fish landed were in the 2 lbs range, however one of 4lbs was landed by a new member on his first day of fly fishing! That was good to see.

For those not familear with the Rotorua Lake district of New Zealand, here's a good web site to check out.

http://www.rotoruanz.com/activities/lakes/index.asp

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Hi,

Well, we went back down to Rotorura this past weekend. Weather was ok Sat and Sun, with only a bit of drizzle on occasion. Monday, being our labour day, was another story. Anyway, we fished the Waiteti Stream but no luck. I could see lots of big fish in the pool at the Trout Stream Camp Ground, but I've never had them take a fly there. Others have, but they are very cautious.

Anyway, we fished lake Terawera all day Saturday, but it's too early in the season it seems. Only saw two fish, and those were hours apart. Even at dusk only one fish came up. It seems the fish are still out deep and aren't comming into the shallows (at least not until very late at night).

On Sunday we tried the lower sections of the Ngongataha Stream, and I caught two fingerlings, one on a Water Cricket (soft hackle), and one on an Alexandria. However, some good fish were taken early in the morning in the lower sections, just not by Vanessa or myself.

During our return drive we stopped at the Waihou, and despite the rain I had to give my "still new to me 3wgt" another go. I've got more used to it and had 3 spiders (soft hackles) tied on and well spaced. I've had a fair amount of luck with small soft hackles in this stream, and in the short time I had to play I got 2 small rainbows (24 and 27 cm; around 9.5 and 10.5 inches). I met a fellow (Steve) on the river, and let him have a play with the light rod and he had as much fun as I did. When I hooked the 2nd fish (the larger of the two), I let him have a go and he landed it while having a good laugh. It felt like a monster! he said, when the little fellow came to hand.

So, I guess even though the lakes are still a bit early, there's some good stream fishing to be hand while on the way there from Auckland.

- Jeff

Hi,
    Went down to Rotorua again this past weekend. Caught a few small ones, two on the Waihou on the way down, and two more on the Ngongataha stream. Vanessa got two, and a friend of ours caught her first (and 2nd) trout as well!

While setting up a fellow was leaving the river with a 14lbs brown! and there were bigger ones spotted! Talking with people, it seems that the fishing has started to fire, starting about a week ago. Although we had no luck on the big bad boys, we did spot some nice fish in the river. Didn't fish the lakes themselves though, but with the warmer weather starting the fish are now starting to come to the river mouths at night.

- Jeff

+ Reply to Thread