+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help planning trip for husband to idaho

Default help planning trip for husband to idaho

I'm helping my husband plan a trout fishing trip with his brother and father. He's narrowed the trip to Idaho, looking mainly at the Henry's fork area. The three men are avid trout fishermen in the KY/TN/AK area but have never been west. Here are some of the questions we're struggling with...How important are guides for someone with fishing experience? Is renting a boat and venturing out on their own too dangerous or grounds for a disappointing trip? (They want to experience different sections of the river and it is our understanding a boat is necessary) Is Henry's fork in July too populated with fellow fishermen? (They would appreciate some seclusion) Are there other rivers and creeks they should consider? (My husband would have the patience for especially finicky fish, but my father-in-law would probably not).

Thank you all so much for this wonderful forum. I would appreciate any ideas and opinions.

The Henry's Fork of the Snake requires a PhD in entomology and fish psychology. It is said that when you become a master guide on that river through all the seasons, you can guide absolutely anywhere. That river will kick eastcoast fishermen in the rear if they have no guide. (Speaking from experience).

The river through the canyon, upstream of the Harriman Ranch or the Railroad ranch, would be a bit much for people without appreciable experience on the oars. There are guides that go through there every day with catarafts and drift boats. I don't know that anyone rents boats around Last Chance, but would not recommend that they learn it all by themselves. Downstream from the RR ranch there are some spectaculr falls. Not a place you want to take a drift boat or cataraft.

Any time you have a boat, you have an advantage, because you can cover so much more water. I recommend fishing that river from a boat, and well as most rivers that are too broad and deep to wade. Mike Lawson's shop there at Last Chance had a lot of good guides over the years, and there are others. Lawson and Gary LaFontaine were two fellows pretty well known for their insight into the Henry's Fork. I am not sure if Lawson has consummated a sale of it yet.

From Last Chance, you are close to a lot of things: Yellowstone, Tetons, all of the famous SW MT rivers like Madison, Gallatin and tributaries; the Snake around Jackson, ; The South Fork of the Snake which is great to drift. In that area, a 2 hour drive opens up endless opportunities.

The main stem of the Snake around Jackson (Jackson Hole) is a beatiful drift and a nice view of the Tetons. It is mostly cuts, and they are more easily fooled than other trout.

The South Fork is definitely a boat fishing river, and is a great destination.

There are also smaller rivers like the Teton.

July is likely to be busy. You need to watch the water situation, because snowfall on the ranges that proivde those rivers was not good late in the winter. I am not sure if they got enough to make up in early spring. Benjo and others in the area will prolly be along to elucidate on the snowpack.

If the area has low water and closings and restrictions, you may want to consider the San Juan or the rivers of So. Colorado. They got lots of snow, and should be in relatively good condition. In fact, the runoff may last longer, necessitating later trip dates. You need a guide on the San Juan too, it is technical with small flies, and the river fishes differently every season. With a couple of days guided, one with all the basic skills should be able to catch fish. You shoud be forewarned, fishing that river is highly addictive. They may want to move to New Mexico when they return to KY.

I would suggest they go the Henry's Fork. Been there, loved that.

I agree that the Fork is an "interesting" river to fish. If they go, I would suggest at least on day, if not two, with a guide. Mark Smith, aka Smitty, at Henry's Fork Angler is my choice. Great guy and wonderfull guide.

Fishing that area opens up a whole world of trout fishing. Not only can you fish the Henry's Fork, but you are very close to Yellowstone and all the rivers and scenery that offers.

Ken

I have no advice, having never fished Idaho, but I wanted to say what a lovely thing you're doing. I hope your husband helps plan an excellent adventure for you sometime too.

Idaho licenses for out-of-staters are always more expensive than surrounding states. The amount of info that they demand and the way that they sell them is (was) irksome to most out-of-staters. I am not apprised of current rates and increments of days.

Why does anyone need by bleeping Social Security no. to tell me a fishing license, anyway? That is all I need, one more bunch out there with my address and SSN on a computer with inadequate security. I'll stop there, it is an issue for the "Sound Off" board.

We made that trip last year and enjoyed it immensely.

There are many guide services and I would not recommend the one we used!!! However; I can highly recommend Harrop's Trouthunter in that area.

Another thought if they want to wade is try the Madison River. Cabins on the river are available at Kelly Gallup's Slide Inn. The river is a manageable size and there are many access areas. We fished from Ennis to Yellowstone and the Gallatin from the cabins.

The largest airport in the area is Billings, MT. There are also airports at Jackson Hole, Boise, Bozeman, Cody, Helena...

You will only have one problem...they will not want to come home! And they'll be planning the next trip back.

We're going back in August

[This message has been edited by SW Ladyfish (edited 05 May 2005).]

PS. Bmail me and I can share some of the resources we used to plan our trip.

[This message has been edited by SW Ladyfish (edited 05 May 2005).]

kymom, You have a lot of good information here already. I would add that the Henry's Fork is a wonderful destination for any avid flyfisher. True it takes patience but the work is worth effort. By all means a guide for 1-2 days is worth the expense even for experienced flyfishers, they know the river and can make the difference between an nice trip and a great trip. I would suggest a trip through the Box Canyon at least one day and then a trip on the lower river another.

July is not too crowded, it's a good size river and there's plenty of room.

A nice thing about the area is the proximity to West Yellowstone and Yellowstone Park, great fishing there for Cut-Throats.

Wish I was going!

Al

"The Henry's Fork of the Snake requires a PhD in entomology and fish psychology. It is said that when you become a master guide on that river through all the seasons, you can guide absolutely anywhere. That river will kick eastcoast fishermen in the rear if they have no guide." It's not that tough!

I have never fished the Harriman Park section and have focused efforts below the box canyon. The river down there is forgiving and would be an allright place to learn to row, stopping to fish the many nice riffles and drop offs.

I agree with Benjo, the fishing isn't as tough as some suggest, though I suppose like anywhere it can be tough fishing on occasion. The Box Canyon float would be a decent place to take a float trip - I have almost no experience fishing from a boat or floating rivers for that matter, preferring wade fishing, but I have flaoted the Box Canyon area. The fishing there is decent, with some real nice fish present. Its also not as crowded as the lower part of the river near Last Chance can be. There are a number of rivers the Island Park/West Yellowstone area, with lots of lodging for non-local people. I fish the area a lot. In July it can be crowded - but for those willing to walk a mile , sometimes less, from the popular access points, even the crowded rivers almost always provide relatively secluded fishing. The lesser known rivers in the area can also be good fishing and a lot of fun.

10. Default

The Railroad Ranch and Box Canyon fished poorly last year. I would not plan to come here for a "once in a lifetime" type trip this year.

+ Reply to Thread