+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arrival streamside ?

Default arrival streamside ?

So, there you are. You've donned your waders, laced up your boots, put your rod together, ran the line through the guides, checked your leader and tippet, and open a fly box. Where do you go from there? I know that if you have a pretty good idea of the hatch that may occur while you are there, that you'd want to focus on that. But what do you do when you're just not sure what bugs you may see, or what the fish may want. Do you wait until you are right next to the water to choose a fly, or is the a style that you generally tie on and then go from there? I wondering if I might not become a better and more alert angler by waiting to choose and tie on a fly until I have had time to sit and watch the water a bit. Any thoughts?

Jeff

2. Default

soft hackles

fishin fool,

Back when I was in the Army there was a patrolling term of "Laying Dog". You just stop, look and listen. I usually check for things along the route to the stream, especially spider webs. They can usually be a tip off as to whats flying around. Terrestrial insects make themselves known fairly quickly.

Once within sight of the water, I sit down, light a smoke, take a cup of coffee and watch the water. That ten minutes or so will tell you a lot if you observe "Old Mother Nature".

REE

I just sit-down on a hillside, log or stone; and watch the water, and "Let the Pretty Girls show me, where they are located". Just as my mentor, taught me.

Al Campbell, was my mentor, and even though he is here no more, he will always be in my heart (specially when I am watching for the "Pretty Girls". When I want to remember Al, I just remember the time, He and I sat on the top of the hill above Castle Creek, watching for the "Pretty Girls!

~ Parnelli

Down in the bottom of the Itty Bitty Pool.
    Swam Three Little Fishies, and a Mommy Fishy too.
    "Swim", said the Mommy Fishy, "Swim if you can!"
    And they, swam swam, all over the Dam.

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 04 May 2005).]

Or I guess you could read the Advanced Fly Fishing column this week? It is called Observing.
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/advancedff/:092c8]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/advancedff/[/url:092c8]

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Jeff,

IMHO, the stop, look and listen is right on. JC's article this week has the same theme.

To become a more "alert" angler, observation is key.

Even if you have a miracle fly that any fish will take at any time, you need to look at the lay of the water to decide WHERE and how to present it.

(my 0.02$ anyhow).

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:0d593]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:0d593]
    Christopher Chin

Excellent advice so far... I might suggest that, when you're soakig it all in, to check out the type of water before you decide on the fly. I tend to search with nymphs as opposed to dries, but when i'm on the fence, i'll make a few casts in a spot with a dry then switch. I usually pick a spot that might be good, saving "prime" looking spots for when I think i've figured things out. Fast water, heavy large nymphs like stones, zugbugs, pheasant tails etc. I start at the bottom of the water column and work my way up. In other words, I try to hit bottom with my nymphs. 9 times out of 10, I start hooking fish in the deepest water.

...echoing what has already been said...

...what I've got in the habit of doing is after slipping on the waders and suiting up,
    I leave the rod broke down, put the reel in an empty pocket (if I can find one) and I don't bother rigging up anything until I hit my starting point...then I take my sweet time all the while keeping an eye on the water...in the air...the bushes ect...then decisions are made...

Brookid
    thirdyearflyfisher.com

As others have mentioned. Sit and puff on a stoogie for about ten or 15 minutes. Lets you see what is happening and also lets you clear mind of outside stuff and get in an enjoying frame of mind. With saying all that and nothing becomes apparent put on a size 16 Adams or Ausable Wulff and catch some fish. In any instance enjoy yourself.

Thanks for the tips and advice. I guess I've been a little guilty of over exhuberance when it comes to arriving at a destination. I see that I should be doing more watching and less anticipating, and maybe I'll do more catching. Thanks again, and tight lines

Jeff

------------------
    dead fish don't make reel music

+ Reply to Thread