+ Reply to Thread

Thread: folding net...?

Default folding net...?

I was at the Greenbriar Hotel in White Sulfar WV. this past weekend, taking a little tour of there shops, and came across an old metal Folding net. The gentalmen who owned the shop said it was from the 1930's,(he thought). I'v never seen or read about one and was wondering if any of you all have. price was marked $97.00
    Oh yeah, snazy place that Greenbriar...lol
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

p 227 of my "Orvis Flyfishing Guide", copyright 1984. The photo shows a spring-loaded one that pops into shape when released. Looks breakable

If it's the old Orvis North Fork net it is far from breakable. I've had mine since the 1980's and it made of stainless steel and aluminum and is virtually indestructible. It is the best folding net I ever saw and I own a couple of S?lvkroken nets which are the best you'll find today.

I have no idea what you saw but the Orvis North Fork is a trout net and has a somewhat teardrop or diamond shape when open and is deeply knurled on the handle which is about 10" long. The whole net is no more than 12" or so folded. But I don't think they go back to the 1930's. Hardy also made lots of folding nets all the way back but they are more triangular in shape when open and had longer handles.

I believe Kauffman Streamborn (FAOL SPONSOR) has one in their inventory. A folding net that is.

Thanks for the replies, I guess I should put more details in my questions...lol It was a trout net, tear drop shapped, I have heard of folding ones from later years but never from that far back. I didn't play with it, but it it was hinged and had a metal handle. The feller that had it said he had never heard of one from that time frame either. While I was there he did bring out (from his treasurse in a closet) 2 very nice looking canes from the forty's. One a Gillium trout, and one Garrison salmon rod, both where in very good like new condition. They where nice to hold. So I figured the gentelman new right much about the fly world so I thought I would ask about the net to educate myself a little more...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

I have two folding nets ,one that goes back before that time and one much older in the early 30s. First one is all aluminum frame in the shap of a large Y -- when a button at the top of the handle is pressed the top Y folds back to the handle. The long wood handle boat net from old New England salmon fishing days folds more for storage. Unscrew the net section from the handle and the metal net section folds for two piece storage. BILL

+ Reply to Thread