+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saltwater-Mullet fly

Default Saltwater-Mullet fly

Do any of you out there have the recipe to tie a fly that represents the finger mullet that are starting to make their migration? Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. This would, in my estimation be a dynamite fly for bluefish in the surf along the Delaware beaches. Am I correct?

Eich:
    Bob Popovics Siliclone is my favorite Mullet pattern.
    Here's the URL for tying instructions.

http://www.aswf.org/saltwater_flies_for ... ilicl.html

I do a couple of things different. Instead of wool, I use white Polar Plus to tie the pattern, and use permanent markers to bring the pattern closer to the mullet's actual colors before coating with silicone. Something else I do, when the silicone gets tacky, is apply Mother of Pearl transfer foil to the body area. It adds a bit of sparkle and flash to the fly. I tie them from 2 to 6 inches long.
    A couple of other patterns I'm playing with, and hope to try out in the next couple of weeks, though I haven't heard any reports of the mullet starting to run along the south Jersey beaches.
    I use a large white soft foam popper and make it into a slider head. The ones I have tied up use either bucktail or artificial hair for the tail, and use an extra long estaz to provide a bit of a taper between body and tail.
    The other two fall into the fly rod "lure" category. One is based on a fresh water lure called a Tiny Torpedo and the other on a lure called the Sammy. Both are shaped from foam cylinders, and what makes them lures is I'm using treble hooks on both of them.

Here you go a great mullet pattern that I have been using lately. A great dead drifted fly, lots of action. I use it real close to nooks and cranies in the rocks, where mullet generally hangout.

http://www.stripermoon.com/flyarch/soft6.html

Now I see that it has already been linked to. Well here it is again. I like a little bit of yellow bucktail added in under the black saddle.
    Your hooks sharp????

An all white deciever with peacock herl topping works as well as anything.

Thank you everyone! I have heard, but have never tried to use a latex caulk in place of silicone as you can just use water to smoothe out the latex caulk. I think that I read somewhere that the product to use is by Dap and it is called Dynaflex 230. Does anyone know about this or has anyone tried it? Thanks again. You people are fantastic with your help.

Ray

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Here's a Mullet fly tied by Steve Farrar of Flash Blend fame.

http://www.aswf.org/saltwater_flies_...ve_mullet.html

LOVE that Flash Blend!
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Default mullet fly

Check out Ken Abrames striper moon for the september fly it works well.
    Roger

Ray:
    I think the problem with the latex caulking is you need to find one that dries clear. I've seen them in white, grays and black but not clear. I'll have to take a look next time I get to Lowe's or Home Depot. It be nice to have something you can smooth with water. As people move to digital cameras, it's becoming harder to find Photo-Flo. You can actually use water mixed with a bit of dish soap to smooth silicone.
    Now that think about it I did pick up a material, and it may have been the DAP stuff, that said it dried clear and cleaned up with water, but was white when it came out of the tube. It did cure clear but you had to make light coats to get them to look like the clear silicone. Might still have it my tying desk drawer, I'll check.

Jet-dry(stuff for dishwashers) works really good for smoothing silicone.

+ Reply to Thread