+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: For those of you that carry 1,000+ flies

close to a 1000...

Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

MikeBrat- I tie for a livng and tying a lot of flies for myself is no big deal. At times I have tied as many as 18 to 20 dozen in a day when pushed to get an order done. I don't do that often but at times?

When I tie orders and I use the fly that I am tying I will do from 6 to a couple of dozen for myself. Then sometimes I just tie to fill my own boxes. That is how I keep up with what I use and need. Tying 4 or 5 dozen for myself in a day is not a big deal at all. Ron

Wow, I'm with MikeBrat on this one (although I'm also envious!). You guys need sherpas!

I own just under eleventy billion flies - but never carry near 1000 when fishing

maybe a hundred, maybe more but never 1000

I figure what I want to take for what I think they'll be eating, get a couple of each, and head out.

If I'm wrong, the others are in the truck

Just because someone owns over 1000 flies does not mean they always have everyone with them. I have 3 large boxes for trout, 2 large for steelhead, 1 large and one small box for bass and pan fish, and 3 large boxes for saltwater. There is never a reason for me to carry the steelhead flies when fishing for trout or vis versa. Not sure how many flies I own and this list does not include the wives boxes or the flies from the few swaps I have done over the years or the flies I gotten from some of the masters I use for refrence.
    Even though I have many flies sometimes I do not even take but a few flies like yesterday on the salt I took only 7 flies total and only used the one I had tied for the trip the night before. Hey that fly is now beat up to a point it has almost no material left on it after a very great day of Salmon fishing and it will now go to our wall of retired flies that will never get fished again.

Blog Entries

Man I'm doing it all wrong. I take only about 25-30 flies with me . When I lose them all its is time to go home. I have to admit that I use up about a dozen or so on a weekend to break offs and pinetree hits. The rest are given away to all my buddys that know I tie.

Mikebrat ha ha that was me 2 years ago. Now I can rap of a dozen or so each night. After the whole winter of tying every night I have kabillions of them . No 2 the same either. I do not believe in perfection and my fly collection show it in a big way.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

I have a array of fly boxes The C&F is the nices though it holds alot of streamers
    trout flies

Salmon flies

I always keep TONS of extra flies in the car in case I lose the "couple of each" I carry stream-side.

If I lose flies that are producing I walk back to the car to re-stock.

I also carry a few beers in the car so when I have to re-stock my flies...

...you get the idea.

I used to carry several hundred. I'm currently going through a twelve step program to ween myself off so many flies. I've started to force myself to sit down before I go and put whatever flies I think I'll need into one box, and it is HARD!!! I'm tired of wearing a 20 lb. vest.

Blog Entries

For you fellows that need just one more flybox check out this Ebay auction in aid of the Al Campbell memorial bench. I don't know a lot about fly boxes but it looks like a good one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AL-CAMPBELL-MEMORIA ... dZViewItem
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

+ Reply to Thread