+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In light of some recent posts

Default In light of some recent posts

Went to a pawn shop tonight (Which I have never done before) while waiting for the to go dinner.
    Found (in brand new condition) a Fenwick 5'3" 4/5wt rod. Put it together, and shook it a few times and decided, I could see where this will come in handy.
    The price was right so I bought it.
    Came home and slapped on several reels and lines.
    Came to the conclusion, the line that worked the best was a 4wt TT and a 5wt Sylk DT.
    I finally found a rod that I like the TT on LOL.

Hi FG,

I have a Kunnan (no longer made I think). 6.5ft. 4/5wt. loaded with Scientific Anglers Ultra DTT-4-F. I love it as long as the wind stays low . The price was right when I got mine a long time ago (brand new) as it was marked way down and still further when I traded in some flies on it. Its a lot of fun even on small fish and great for tight, small waters (like creeks and streams). I even use it on some larger waters like canals. I don't think I would want to go any lighter on line weight with short rods though.

A 5ft. 3inch. Wow, and I thought my Kunnan was short. I wonder if Jim Hatch has some little fly rods as short as that? I think Jim's got some in 3wt.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Default Little rods...

FG and Dixie,

About 10 years ago I was prowling one ofthose outlet malls when I chanced upon a store that sold outdoor stuff.

They had some tiny 'micro light' Quantum rods, 4' 6" and 5', intended for spinning. They have Tennessee style handles, so I thought they would make nice little ultra light fly rods in addition to being great little spinning rigs.

I ended up going back several times and buying about 9 of these rods. Every friend I fished with wanted one (they were cheap, at $10 each, had an amazing amount of backbone considering their size, and cast a fair distance).

With a 2 or 3 wt. line they cast well, especially in tight quarters, and I really enjoy hooking and playing a fish on them.

Lots of 'gills, bass, and small stream trout have made these som of my favorite rods. Only rods I fish now that I didn't build myself.

You just never know what you'll stumble across.

Good luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

FG i have two 5-3 5wt fished both of them on small water. didn t fish them in years i love the big rod, 10 foot and up just made a GLX 11 ft 6wt love it. i do now fish big water. flyman 3

Quote Originally Posted by flyman 3
    FG i have two 5-3 5wt fished both of them on small water. didn t fish them in years i love the big rod, 10 foot and up just made a GLX 11 ft 6wt love it. i do now fish big water. flyman 3
    I think that is what made the transition on the slower side last night. I have been throwing 9'6" and 10' all summer and now a rod HALF that length. I can dig it though just got to get in that ZEN mode.
    I am still after that perfect 10' 4wt with a med action.

Hey Fly Goddess, have you looked at the 10' 4wt. Winston WT? It's listed as a slow action, but it might be the ticket. I was thinking about trying out a Scott E2, in the 10' 4wt. Of course, that'll be right after I get that 5wt. Ultra Light Spey rod.

Quote Originally Posted by pspaint
    Hey Fly Goddess, have you looked at the 10' 4wt. Winston WT? It's listed as a slow action, but it might be the ticket. I was thinking about trying out a Scott E2, in the 10' 4wt. Of course, that'll be right after I get that 5wt. Ultra Light Spey rod.
    Winston is a slow rod, but that E2 has got me real interested, just no one carries it to try.
    Probably end up building one, but not sure what blank yet. I even called Scott on the E2 blank and no go......yet.

Hey Fly Goddess, Scott never got back to you? Since you're a rod builder, have you looked into the Rainshadow blanks or the CTS blanks?

Quote Originally Posted by pspaint
    Hey Fly Goddess, Scott never got back to you? Since you're a rod builder, have you looked into the Rainshadow blanks or the CTS blanks?
    Scott told me, thay don't have blanks for the E2 yet cause they are too new and trying to fill orders with then right now.
    Not familiar with Rainshadow or CTS blanks but I will check into that,THANKS
    FG

The Rainshadow's are real popular with the Float Fisherman, here in the Great Lakes area. They're pretty inexpensive and have nice actions. CTS is out of New Zealand, they make blanks for a number of companies. If your fimiliar with Bob Meiser's fly rods, that what he uses.

+ Reply to Thread