+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Great Smallmouth Fishing!!!

Default Great Smallmouth Fishing!!!

Over the past two weeks, the mouth of our local Lake Huron tributary has been loaded with huge smallmouth bass eager to take the fly (sparkle grubs and Michigan wigglers).

On Sept. 9th, a buddy and I were gigglin' like school girls due to the number of big smallies we were catching. A conservative estimate of the number of fish we caught between 2.5 lbs. and 4 lbs. would be 30 during a four hour outing. The largest smallmouth that I put on the measuring tape was 21.5" long! It was a monster!! I went back the next morning, and the fish were gone! (you can see them from atop an old tressle bridge).

Well, this past Saturday evening I went back again to find the bass were back in. In 90 minutes of fishing I landed a dozen or so decent bass in the 15" - 17" range.

My question is this - would these be large lake specimens coming in to fatten up before winter, or river smallies dropping back to the lake to winter?

Tight lines everyone.

Andrew

I don't know for sure which way they are heading (though I suspect they might be lakers feeding up).

What I do know is I'm intensely jealous!! All the smallies I've caught lately could be eaten by the ones you're catching! Great story and great fishing.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Andrew,

Thanks for sharing. There's nothing like getting into one large smallie after another. And honestly, I can see you and your partner gigglins like schoolgirls. Fish like that simply makes one giddy. I can't answer your question about where the fish were coming from but I'm glad you found them when you did.

Earlier this summer me and a guy were fishing a lake in Canada and after supper we went out and had a ball. We, too, laughed out loud because all the fish were "nice fish" and at one point my buddy caught one on 4 consecutive casts. I guarantee you, we will never forget that evening.

Good story, thanks for sharing.

Greg

+ Reply to Thread