+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stripping guides off of a fly rod question??

Default stripping guides off of a fly rod question??

I'm thinking about stripping the existing guides off of an old Heddon Pal glass rod. The only problem is, I have no experience doing any of this. any suggestions to make it easy?

thanks,
    ~Randy
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Default removing guides

not too difficult a task at all, i mean after all if I can do it, anyone can.

Depends on the year of the pal but what I would do is to use a razor blade and careftully cut the thread right on top of the guide foot. After you begin removing the cut thread you will be amazed at how easy the threads that you didn't slice come off. Make sure that you don't go beyond the end of the guide foot and cut that fiberglass. What a lot of folks do si to soak the threads first in a little citrus stripper and that completely softens up the old varnish that is on the threads, makes it a little easier, but is is really pretty easy either way.

Good luck with it.

Clarkman,
    You'll find that most of this rod building/refinishing is about patience and control. Follow DLEO's instruction and you'll be ready to ask how to wrap the new guides in no time.

"Not too difficult a task at all, i mean after all if I can do it, anyone can."
    Leo, that's like having a Top Gun pilot saying it's easy to fly a Cessna.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try to get on this sometime this week. I love the action on this rod but the current guides are too small for what I prefer and a couple of them have been redone in the past as well. One thing I've noticed is that there seems to be a layer of epoxy covering most of the threads, what's the best way to remove this?

~Randy
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

The epoxy and thread will "peel" off as one. Just cut through the epoxy/thread layer on top of the guide foot like Leo said, then just start peeling. I use a Dremel cutter and lightly make the cut, but an Exacto or other fine cutting instrument will "Git R Done". After you get it off, do any cleanup needed with Citrus Stripper, Goof Off, Goo B Gone, Denatured Alcohol or whatever is appropriate (BTW, the whatever is appropriate depends on composition, finish, etc. - if in doubt, start with the least harsh chemical) and it will be clean as a whistle and ready to rewrap. Be sure to completely remove any old epoxy residue, and any chemicals used, prior to rewrapping - I do a final cleaning with Denatured Alcohol twice and let it dry completely.

Clarkman,
    About 2 weeks ago, I too started on a Heddon Pal (Mark-1 8'3") glass rod. My first glass rod (previously worked on bamboo only). I opted to remove the old guides and strip the red paint (found a nice blonde/maple colored glass rod under all the paint). Opted then to cover au-natural with varnish and it looks sweet. I've started wrapping w/black and white tipping (nylon thread) to match the orig. product info sticker. I will try to post a picture w/in a week or two as I just started on the guides/ferrule wraps.
    Take your time and you'll find it'll be almost as fun as getting your line wet.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton

Clarkman,
    If you look down for a post a few weeks past titled "Glass Help Please", you'll find some Q&A on redoing the entire rod if it catches your fancy.

+ Reply to Thread