+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Bamboo question

Default Another Bamboo question

The wife and I met a couple today and the gentleman brought out a bamboo rod that he said belonged to his grandfather. He has no intentions of selling it, he just wanted to know a little more about it. Not being very knowledgeable on Bamboo, I told him about FAOL and that I would post the description here and I hope someone can give me some info on this rod. It was a 3 piece rod and on the butt end above the handle it had a sticker that had on it: JC Higgins, Sears & Roebuck and under the sticker in black ink was the number 3034. That is the only markings I saw on it. Any info I can relay back to him will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren,

While I don't know the details on this rod, I know who will. Try your question here http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum

Good luck,
    Bill O.

oyster,

I really appreciate your response. After 82 people viewed my post I was beginning to wonder if I had been boycotted! I think I will suggest to him to just put this rod up on the wall and keep it in the family and not put any money into it.

Thank you again for responding because I really do appreciate it. I will now probably just delete this post.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

4. Default Higgins--

I think the 3034 was a Montague made rod. I do believe that all Higgins rods were 8.5-9 foot rods made either by HI or Montague. They generally have a green or red reelseat commonly found on Montague flash rods. Not to valuable...$30-60.
    RMB

Had a chance to pick up a JC Higgins boo rod and Heddon glass rod together for a steal so I am unsure of the value of their Higgins but $50 is a good bet. Just rebuilt the glass so the Higgins is next. It's not a collector rod so it'll be redone for feeshen not the wall.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

You are right on target Rockymountain...nmost of them were primarily H-I, and some were Montague. The top of the line Higgens was made by Heddon, but I will have to do some more research to find out the model numbers. Too, I think that the top of the line Higgens that was made by Heddon also said Heddon on the rod though...heck, at my age, I am lucky to remember what I do remember about these things....now what were we talking about?

LD

Warren
    The JC Higgins label was used by Sears.The rods were made by Montague and Horrocks Ibbotson.In D.B.Homel's book "Antique & Collectable Fishing Rods Identification and Value Guide" the 2003 edition. The 3034 was made by H-I was a 9' 3/1 rod in mint unfished condition worth about 85.00.
    I believe, not 100% sure, this is the 02311 rod in the H-I production line. The only 9' rod in Sinclair's, "Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook", book to come with 1 tip. One of their worst it sold for between 83-85 cents and was, "put up in a paper bag", not Sinclair's quote, a rod sock and tube was worth more than the rod.

Tom

Thanks to all of you for the input. I think telling him to just hang it up on the wall, since he said it belonged to his grandfather, was the best advise.

You all have been very helpful and I really do appreciate your help.
    Warren

My opinion:
    If that guy is a fly fisherman, I'd tell him to fish with it. I'd imagine his grandfather bought that rod to fish with, not hang it on a wall. If he takes it fishing and somehow breaks it, all the better. I'd say that's a much more fitting end to a fishing rod than just watching it gather dust somewhere. And anyways, if it does break, it can be repaired. Just because this rod isn't a highly desirable collectable doesn't mean it should not be fished with.

Regards,
    Joe Martin

I'm with PhotoJoe. His grandfather held the very same grip- almost like shaking hands with the gent again. And if he breaks it on a big fish, his grandfather would have been proud because he wasn't able to do the same!
    I buy old ones, do some work on them if needed, then fish them! Really sad sometime to purchase a rod from someone and ask them if they have any history on it and they respond "The last owner of the house left it on the wall (or in a corner) and we're just getting rid of it." If that guy fishes, he should use it.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

+ Reply to Thread