+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing in New Mexico or Texas?

Default Fly Fishing in New Mexico or Texas?

I may be taking a long road trip from Colorado down to the Texas Gulf Coast in late October.

I've got a number of choices on my driving route. I can drive South through Eastern New Mexico , or South through West Texas (through Amarillo, Lubbock, Abilene, San Antonio.)

Is there any interesting fishing in either Eastern New Mexico or West Texas? It might make the trip a bit more bearable if I could find a day to do some fly fishing along the way.

The locals will have to tell you for sure but, having driven from Boulder to San Antonio along 3 different routes, I'm guessing you'll have to take a fairly large detour if you are looking for a trout stream.

FWIW, the fastest route to San Antonio is not intuitive. You go east to Limon and then drop down through Amarillo. From Lubbock, you take 87 down to Eden and then drop down 83 to I-10 East. Its not an Interstate most of the way, but the roads are fairly flat, straight and light on traffic, and the speed limits are high. You'll probably make it to San Angelo on day one, where there are plenty of motels.

Going for some reds in TX.

Going south you can find some FF at the Cimarron if water is released from Eagle Nest Lake. The other possibilitis are Rio Costilla, Rio Grande west of Taos and maybe a couple of streams in the Sangre de Cristos. How much time have you got to spend is a big factor. But, the fishing is here. I can't speak for TX so someone else has to chime in.

San Juan River is just out of Colorado into New Mexico on the east side. The dam creating this "blue ribbon" tailwater trout fishery hosts some fine norhtern pike also.
    Reminds me, I need to go visit my sister in Aztec, N.M.
    .....lee s.

A great share of the New Mexico fly fishing is small streams. There is a terrific new book out, 49 Trout Streams of New Mexico, great text, maps and photos. Published by the University of New Mexico Press see www.unmpress.com

Thanks for the link LF....I just searched Amazon and they have it...savings

The Texas Hill Country has a number of good rivers to fish; the Llano, Guadelupe and Perdenales are just a few. Search the internet for "fly fishing texas hill country", and for "Guadalupe River Chapter of Trout Unlimited". There are several websites dedicated to fly fishing in Texas that should prove helpful.

The Texas Parks and Wildlife website contains maps and other information about Texas waterways. You can also order your fishing license through their website if you need to.

Finally, I recommend Phil Shook's books "Fly Fishing the Texas Coast" and "Flyfisher's Guide to Texas".

Sounds like a great trip.
    Tracy

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

nononsenseguides.com has a book on FLY Fishing New Mexico. $18.95 by Taylor Streit. You want to borrow it, I will mail it to you.

Gemrod

The San Juan is a great tailwater. If you get out and hike you can beat the crowds. I fished it four days in February with a guide, and he told me the water temp stays between 42 and 46 degrees all year. I used a guide as it is so different fishing than I do up here. Small midges (22-24) under a strike indicator. We caught lots of fish.

Im biased towards coldwater so Id say go through NM. The SJ will be the best trout water on your trip. Id skip the Guadelupe tailwater, as the water is low low low and public access is spartan. However the Hill Country has several rivers that are a lot of fun to fish. Theyre not the gin clear rivers you may be used to in CO, but theyre pretty clear for Texas. We have a couple of fish that are only found in some of those rivers...the Guadelupe Bass and Rio Grande Perch. Both will take hoppers, poppers or streamers.
    Also there's an article in this month's FlyRodReel about Devil's River in West Texas. Ive heard the fishing's great but access is tough.

Good Luck.

+ Reply to Thread