+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dragon fly ?

Default Dragon fly ?

Obviously as we move around we see a wide variety of adult dragon flies....They vary significantly in size and color.

Are their nymphs relative to their size...e.i. if you are seeing quite large adults flying around should you fish large dragon fly nymphs?

Is there a relationship between the color of the adult with the color of the nymph?

ducksterman,
    Yrs ago I fished live dragonfly nymphs at Crane. In all the yrs of fishing, I have never seen fish go so crazy for something at the end of my line.
    I don't think trout care what size of dragon nymph you use because they love to eat them. The fish we caught at Crane, were swimming around in the dead trees and I'm sure that dragonfly nymphs were one of the reasons.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

The dragonfly nymphs here where I live are two tone colored and about a size 8. Brown and tan. This is one that I have seen. There may be others and other sizes. I would assume they vary in color and size and also by region. The predominate adults here that I see are large like a size 6 or 4 and tan. Again, there may be others but this is the one I see most. There is probably a relationship between these particular nymphs and adults. Most likely the same kind of dragonfly. As you can see, the nymph seems to be about one or two sizes smaller than the adult. I don't know if this is typical or not for most dragonflies. Hope this helps.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Blog Entries

It is my understanding that the large dragonflys you see are in fact Dragonflys. The smaller dainty ones you see are not Dragonflys but are Damselflys. In my neck of the woods the bright blue damsels are the males and the duller brownish grey ones are the females.
    Dragonfly nymphs are much larger than Damselfly nymphs. If you check the shore and see a lot of damsels coming ashore to change into adults (lots of dryed cases and many adults clinging to the reeds and grass) Using an imitation nymph can be awesome!
    I haven't had much luck with Dragonfly nymphs although the flyshopguy swears by Dragonfly hatches.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

GBF...
    Actually it is quite easy to tell the adult Dragonfly from the adult Damsefly....Dragon's have wings extending at right angles from their body and are fairly horizontal,,,,Damsel's wings extend back over their body and I believe are a little tented...

I have indeed seen some fairly small Dragon flies so got to wondering if smaller Dragon fly nymphs would be a good idea?

Blog Entries

Dragonflies around here can carry off a small dog.*G*
    We watched in awe one night as thousands of dragonflys decimated a Hatch of mayflies it was like war of the worlds.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer
    Dragonflies around here can carry off a small dog.*G*
    We watched in awe one night as thousands of dragonflys decimated a Hatch of mayflies it was like war of the worlds.
    LOL They are big around here aren't they?

Most of the dragonfly nymphs I have seen are shades of brown and are nice and fat critters. Damselfly nymphs tend to be green or gold and are quite slender.

8. Default

I catch a lot of fish on dragon flies....Dragon it in the water as I wade up to the mext pool.

+ Reply to Thread