+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Suggestion For A New Large Arbor Reel

1. Default Need Suggestion For A New Large Arbor Reel

I am looking for a good large arbor reel that would have great line pickup speed and would be able to pickup the line quicker. I am not a rich man, but I also know that you get what you pay for. Could someone please suggest a good arbor reel with great line pickup for a reasonable price. I would appreciate anyone's help.

Quick question first ...

What target species fishing ?? Salt?, Salmon?, Steelhead?, Trout (small) ? trout (BIG) ?.

Will help in getting some educated relies
    Christopher Chin

Retrieve rate is determined by the depth of line on the reel measured from the center of the spool spindle. This depth is essentially the radius (r) of a circle. Retrieve rate per revolution is Pi * 2r.

As line comes off the reel, r shrinks, and so does retrieve rate. With a wider spool, r shrinks slower. So a larger, wider reel produces a faster retrieve rate compared to a smaller and or narrower reel.

So arbor size in and of itself does not dictate retrieve rate. However a larger diameter, wider reel with large arbor can have the same backing capacity of a smaller narrower reel with small arbor.

So you may also want to consider a larger diameter reel with standard arbor than you are accustomed to using also.

When I shop for a reel, I set a budget, then I look for diameter and width first, then backing capacity. Sometimes I end up with a large arbor and sometimes a small arbor.

To make a specific suggest as to a reel, we need an idea of what you may be fishing for. My recommendations would be different for trout, stripers, and tuna for instance.

However for light saltwater, stripers, and most freshwater, the Cortland Endurance and Redinton SV are a couple of nice reels for around $100.

Also, Ross Worldwide has redesigned the Flywater and Flycast reels as large arbor reels for this year. These would suit just about any freshwater situation and run from about $70 to $110 or so.

My suggestions would be...Teton/Tioga LA, & the Lamson Velocity. They run in the low hundred dollar range (Tioga's), up to the upper two hundred range (Larger Teton's and Velocity's).

tailingloop, keep in mind that I am Orvis so I am refering to the Mid Arbor and the Large Arbor.
    The LA will retrieve line faster (refering to the line picked up per turn) than the Mid Arbor right down to the backing. You do however lack in the backing end on the LA as to the MA.
    I do agree on what you are saying the difference is however.
    I bought a BBS V for my eight weight and put a grundle of backing on it so the line does come off an pick up quicker, plus I have all that backing to wave to the fish as it strips it away before I loose every thing LOL. The BBS was my choice cause of the weight. It is such a light reel that even with all that backing and line it balances out that 10' 8wt. nicely.
    Be sure the reel balances out your rod.

I really like the Orvis Mid Arbor reel. Our main problem locally is our shops can't get enough for their customers.

The LA picks up line faster because of diameter difference. Note LA III is 3.75" while MA III is 3.25". You have to go toa MA V to get same diameter is LA III. I nearly bought a MA V for light SW and heavy FW but went with a Teton Tioga Magnum instead.

I use an Orvis Battenkill Disc 7/8 and 8/9 and Ross BG4 on 5 and 6 wt rods for trout fishing on lakes quite a bit when big fish can be encounterd because of the larger diameter/width compared to standard 'trout' reels.

My recs were based on a arbitrary price pt. of $100. Lots of good reels close to that but above.

Whatever WCU Boy's needs, there are going to be a variety of choices ranging from $50 to $1000.

Hi FG - You got me curious . Never heard the word "Grundle" before so I Googled it. ...Ed

Normand Guest

okuma airframe

$40

9. Default

Guys, thanks for your help. I need the reel for trout, bluegills and small bass mainly. I am a big fan of Ross reels. After one of your suggestions, I may look into the Flywater or the FlyCast. Since you guys have heard of my species need, please let me know what you think.

I think the new large arbor versions of the Ross Flycast and Flywater are due to be released in October. Ross Worldwide is also going to have a new reel < $50.

The last year's standard arbor versions can be found for sale at a number of places. I have a Flywater 2 and it is a pretty nice reel. You could get a Flywater 3, which is 3.5" in diamter and have a larger diameter reel.

As far as specific LA reels, in addition to those already mentioned, some other economical reels are: Cortland LTD II ($39), Okuma Integrity ($70), Scientific Anglers Concept Large Arbor ($55), and Redington Crosswater ($39).

+ Reply to Thread