+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Fishing Mysteries

Default Fly Fishing Mysteries

Hare's Ear's post about tree grabbing flies got me thinking. Fly fishing remains a mystery to me, especially when I go fishing and these things happen. I stand there and ask myself, how come?
    • * ?my fly snags on my waders, shirt, pants, hat, trees, rocks, and everything else except the corner of a fishes mouth?
      *?leader to tippet knots & tippet to fly knots come undone but tangles are forever?
      *?waders don?t leak when it?s really hot and humid?
      *?the flies I spend all night tying for a trip don?t work and the flies I already had do?
      *?I always run out of the tippet size I never use?
      *?when I need to retrieve a snagged fly, I?m wearing hippers and the pool in front of the snag is 4 feet deep?
      *?no matter how many pit stops I made on the way, nature calls immediately after the waders are on?
      *?a trout will attack a leaf, feather, cigarette butt, or gum wrapper but ignore my offerings?
      *...the worst tangles happen at dusk during a hatch with tons of rising fish all around?
      *?when I forget my fishing license, the ranger shows up?
      *? sinking dry flies & floating wet flies sometime work better than floating dry flies & sinking wets?
      *?the tree branch always grabs the back-cast JUST BEFORE I attempt to deliver the fly?
      *?the hatch I drove 2 hours to fish was ?better last week? no matter when I get there?
      *?a 6? trout on a dry fly makes you happy but a 12? chub pi$$es you off?
      *?the item you can?t be without, never seems necessary when you forget it at home?
      *?when I get up at 2:00 am to get, ?my spot?, nobody shows up at the creek all day?
      *?when I am fishing tiny flies and gossamer tippets, the wind ONLY blows when I?m casting?
      *?scratching the hatch works just as well as matching the hatch?
    ?Hatch-es, hatch-es?I don?t need no stinkin? hatch-es!?

What are your fly fishing mysteries?

(you watching me or something)
    Others that really leave me scratchin are :
    - all day you can lay a cast anywhere on the water you want with precision - even a 40ft cast, in wind, to place the fly between the tree branches to reach that honey hole. That is ... until it is the last fly of that pattern that's catching fish, then the trees will eat it and spook the fish.
    - fishing a freestone stream, I will always find that one rock that is big enough to steal a fly.
    - warmwater fishing for toothless ones (read: mono tippet) ... a gator (aka pike) will always like your fly better than the miniscule food sources around.
    - on a 90 degree day - when you take only chest waders to get into the river, the river is only 2 ft deep.
    - work an area for a while with no success - high, low, dry, wet - nada. Then set the boy up to get going, and in that hole, and he pulls in the biggest fish of the day - same fly - same set-up.

+ Reply to Thread