+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Camera Filters are multi-purpose

Default Camera Filters are multi-purpose

Well . . . thank goodness for camera filters. All my lenses have filters on them. All are the standard UV filter. Sometimes I use polarizing filters as well. Well this week a co-worker borrowed the camera (Canon 10D) and a couple lenses for a fishing trip. Accidents happen and my Canon 100mm Ultrasonic Macro lens got dropped from about 4 feet onto a concrete parking lot. OUCH!!

Well it landed right on the end of the lens where the UV filter screws on. Thank goodness for that filter. The fliter glass and aluminium ring absorbed the blow and was destroyed. No sweat as these are only around $35.00. Thankfully the filter took the beating and except for a few scratches on the outer lens body, the lens was unharmed. It took 2 of us to remove the crushed filter ring but was relieved to see the threads on the lens were undamaged.

So, not only does the UV filter help with your photos (and protect your lens glass from scratches and dirt), in this case it 100% saved a $700 lens!

Rather be lucky that good I always say . . .

Just passing along as an FYI for those that have SLR's and might not have a UV filter on them. They are multi-purpose

Hats off to Canon as well for making lenses that can take a beating.

Default Lens filters

Point well made. I have been using filters such as the uv filter on my 35mm lenses for years. The logic being No scratches, dust or anything else reaches the actual lens itself. GREAT ADVICE!!!!!

UV filters are great insurance for sure. I highly recommend B+W brand of filters.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

The first thing I do when I buy a new lens is put a UV filter on them for just this reason, all my lenses have them.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Default filters

Back in my checkered past , I worked in a camera store for a few years. We made a point of recommending a skylight or UV filter for every lens. We even had a display of smashed filters which we had removed from customers cameras. Also, every time you clean a lens you are abrading it with whatever bits of grit which might be stuck on it. Over time a lens will suffer a few dings, scratches and maybe even a stray fingerprint etched into the multi-coating. If you have used a filter to protect your lens, throw it out and start over with a new one. Lots cheaper than a new lens.
    UV and skylight filters filter out some of the near ultra violet light which film "sees" and records as blue. If there is a lot of UV light,the filter produces a photo more like the human eye sees, if there is little or no UV , the filter does nothing photographically but it still protects your lens.
    AgMD

A few years ago, I dropped a 180 mm telephoto lens - the lens cap and UV filter took the hit - the lens was fine. All of my lenses have a UV filter from the day of purchase. It's cheap insurance.

+ Reply to Thread