+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tiniest Pigboat?

Blog Entries

Default tiniest Pigboat?

For no particular reason at all (tyers don't need reasons do we? ) I am going to tie up some #10-12 Calcasieu Pigboats to try to cast on my smallest rods.

I have some itty bitty rubber leggish material, its really more like hair its so small and will dub on the body in lieu of chenille. Tiny hackle may be used on the body.

So have any of you intrepid tyers assayed to tie bitty pigboats? How small have you gotten?

best

Robin

I've tied Pigboats before, but have never gone tiny as you are thinking of doing. I believe the small pattern would work though on many fish. Where did you get the micro rubber at though?
    Hobo

Do I smell a pigboat swap coming, Robin?

Blog Entries

howdy Hobo

These are two examples of what I intend on using

[url=http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=53E4&dir_id=1273&group_id =1293&cat_id=5085&subcat_id=6623:cd76a]Orvis tentacles[/url:cd76a]

and [url=http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20431-cat20443-cat20546&id=0024666317713a&navCount=2&podId=002466 6&parentId=cat20546&masterpathid=cat20546%3Acat204 43%3Acat20431&navAction=push&catalogCode=IG&rid=&p arentType=index&indexId=cat20546&hasJS=true:cd76a]Cabelas Mini Centipede Legs[/url:cd76a]

How many whacks on a 22LR to earn some tiny boats do ya spect?

Hopefully this won't highjack....but it might prove helpful ....

I've only used the tentacles a little but found them hard to handle .... anyone have any hints...

Also tried them for some legs and they seemed so small and limber they seemed to just fold back on the fly....other experiences????

Blog Entries

No hijack, good point. Guess I'll see what I can work out.

Hey Mark Let me find out if I can even tie any tinies that I happy with...then I'll talk [url=http://www.gunblast.com/Paco.htm:fe3f2]Nasti-Noses[/url:fe3f2] with you Don't want to get into a swap unless I feel like I have something worthwhile to trade.

Robin

I tye a fly very much like a Pigboat but I use a brass bead head and I tye it with silicone strands and a short
    Zonker hair tail---These flies are tyied on 8 down to 12 size hooks and they are deadly on bluegill,
    redbreast,shellcracker and spotted bass.The fly is tied to more or less to imitate a spider jig commonly used in bait casting.

Check out the swap board. Bring 'em on. JGW

Blog Entries

Got my tying stuff here at work and will be going a-pig boating at lunch hour. We'll see how this goes.

Robin

+ Reply to Thread