+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Order of Things?

Default The Order of Things?

I have been making some serious headway in the past couple of days with my bamboo project(s). I've Built my rod station/storage box (because if I dedicate one more corner of the apt to fishing stuff I think my girlfriend might move out). I spent all morning sat. casting the rods and deciding which one will make a better 2/3wt banty. I think I have some real prospects. I should be getting my cork to turn the handle and will be stripping it tonight or tomorrow.

My question is about varnish. I had read somewhere to apply a few coats before I wrap my guides. Is this suggested? If so how many is a few. I haven't decided if I am going to use a dip tube yet. Is it only necessary to apply a few coats before if you're using a dip tube? Do you use the dip tube after you put on the guides also? If your not using a dip tube, i.e. brushing the varnish on, do you have to pre-coat? How many coats of varnish, on average, should I use? Like I said in the topic, I'm just a little confused on the order of things.

Default Order of things

Well, obviously, tons of questions should generate tons of answers..and opinions as well.

My question is about varnish. I had read somewhere to apply a few coats before I wrap my guides. Is this suggested?

there will be varied opinions on this process and supporting reasoning behind each I am sure. a lot of rodmakers will put a couple of coats of varnish on prior to wrapping, but they will be very thin coats that are designed to protect the bamboo. Others will wrap the rod and basically build it out completely prior to dipping, and the thought process is that it will seal the construction of the rod to inhibit moisture from the exposure that the rod will get during fishing.

There are also a lot of rod builders that use brush on or wipe on techniques that produce some really nice finishes as well. I see it as a comfort index with the finished product inasfar as the application of the finish goes.

Personally, and I am not saying that mine is the right way, I will completely build the rod and in the process will give the wraps 4 or 5 coats of the varnish after wrapping but before dipping. That allows me to inspect the wraps very carefully to ensure that any fuzzies, or blemishes are removed prior to dipping. After the first trip through the dip tube, I will dry it in the drying cabinet for 3 or 4 days, then inspect the finish to see if there are any blemishes in it that I can remove with 2000 or 2500 grit sandpaper, swirl remover and polish, and then decide if it gets another dip or not. Sometimes no, most of the time yes. I see the dipping of the entire build as a very good protective coating that seals the rod completely against moisture and the elements and adds years to its life. I have restored a ton of rods that had very very bad stains of the bamboo from being exposed to the moisture and I am certain that had they been completely dipped, they wouldn't have been that way.

Once again, that is only my opinion, and certainly not that of a pro, I would be interested in seeing what Splinter, Oyster, Boyd or even Mimke Brooks had to say about the process. I would also be interested in seeing what Ron Kusse has to say about it, and it might be a good topic for discussion in the chat room sometime. If it's Kusse's way, it has to be the right way!!

This is not a better method. Just another one...
    I have not had a chance to build a dip-tube so my method of varnish application is wiping it on. I apply 2 coats of varnish before putting on the guides. I feel that it gives the bamboo a layer of protection from the metal guide-feet and trapped water. I use a NON-cotton TShirt (the cotton leaves fibers in the varnish) to apply in long strokes. If you rush, you'll get bubbles so go slowly. When you get a few bubbles, gently blow on them and they'll pop but if you blow too hard it'll move your varnish. I will wait about a week and then wrap the guides afterwhich apply 2 coats of varnish on the wraps with a small art brush.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

+ Reply to Thread