+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wulff Triangle Taper Fly Lines

Default Wulff Triangle Taper Fly Lines

I was wondering if any of you had any experience with the Wulff Triangle Taper fly lines.

I read Al Campbell?s [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/rwtriangletapers.html:4a3c1]review[/url:4a3c1] but at the time it was written, I BELIEVE the lines were sold as multiple weight lines like 2/3, 3/4, etc. Now they are sold as exact line weights with a new coating.

In any case I have a Winston LT 7?9? 2wt that I have a love hate relationship with. Sometimes I love the way it casts and loads with the DT2F Rio Classic line I have on it, other times I want to break it over my knee. I have tried a Rio WF2F as well with similar results. I don?t know if it is just because a 2 weight is SO much different than the slower 3-5 weights I am more accustomed to and I am expecting a feel that just doesn?t exist in a 2 weight; or it?s something else.

The rod action presently is described as medium fast although previously Winston described it as medium. I do know they didn?t change the taper when they changed the description so I assume the description change was for continuity in the catalog descriptions for the rod line. I would classify the action as SORT OF medium.

In any case, on another board a person with the same rod said that after trying many lines on this rod, he liked the Triangle Taper best. I use this rod for trout fishing on smaller to medium streams on windless days fishing mostly Tricos and terrestrials so we?re not talking about 80 foot casts with 2/0 flies. I don?t want to fish it with a 3 weight line since I bought a 2 weight because I wanted a 2 weight, not another 3 weight.

Before I drop $50 on an experiment; I just wondered if anyone had any input. BTW, if I buy it and DON?T like it, keep an eye out on the FOR SALE board for a great deal on a lightly used Triangle Taper fly line.

Unfortunetly this is a question that can not be answered without trying the line on the rod.

One and 2 wt rods I have owned/cast do seem to be lacking some "feel" as compared to heavier wt rods but my experience with light line rods is limited and I'm sure there are better "feeling" rods in those line weights out there. And like you I may not have mine lined "right".

I have a 5 wt TT and it seems to be a good line. A 9' 5 wt Gatti and a Orvis Far and Fine seem to like the line just fine. A couple of other 5 wts I have like other brands better. I also have a Sig series TT 5 wt that I believe is a 4 1/2 wt, at least it wont load any 5 wt rod I have tried it on. Fortunetly I have a 4 wt rod the line works well on.

I dont like long front taper lines like the Cortland Clear Creek and Sage Quiet taper and some others (I have only tried these lines on 1-2 wt rods). The lack of weight makes the rod harder to load and I believe the loss of "feel" you are talking about.

So unless you can barrow some lines to try you'll just have to bite the bullet and open your wallet.

can't remember where i read it on line, but a fly shop after "extensive testing" was recommending sci. anglers xps DT line as a good match for the LT series.

I am a big fan of the TT lines, I think they roll cast fantastically, as well as great at regular casting.

For the tinkerers out there, one can trim the forward section of the TT line to get more of the heavier line out to load the rod with less total line (does that make sense)? Of course, there's a big leap of faith in trimming a >$50 line to suit your fancy.

My one complaint is that I feel the line gets dirty quicker than other lines (I have the ivory TT line... and dirt is very apparent). I do know they changed the coating last year (you may be able to find last years line in a discount bin), so maybe this will solve the problem. I've recently been using Zipcast to clean the line after every use (well... almost every use), and that seems to work great.

thumbs up from me for the TT lines (oh, I use it on my 3 weights and my 5 weights).

"Winston LT 7?9? 2wt " I would call Winston. Explain your problem and ask for their advise. The second call will be to Scientific Anglers. Sure, the line cost plenty, but beyond that, you have an expensive rod,,, wouldn't it be nice if the company felt the responsibility to tell you which line seems best? It's like buying a car and not knowing which gas it should use or a gun but no idea what size ammo it uses. Remember, these companies design these rods for something. They build them, test them, say, "gee, this is a good one. We'll call it a number 5." Well, tell them you want to know what line was on it when they decided that.
    Remember this too. If Winston says that a "Ajax DT2F" is a great match and you don't like that one, it might be you. Just keep an open mind. We're not all perfect casters.

I tried TT on my LL and didn't care for the way it cast. I tried the Orvis Superfine on it and loved it.
    I know I have different feelings about TT then the masses, but I don't care for it.

TT are fine lines, probably something about how you cast.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    TT are fine lines, probably something about how you cast.
    I figured you would say that. Maybe

That is why I had several others that use TT try the superfine, they now use the SF instead. As I said I have TT but, I like the SF better.
    We all need a little work on our casting from time to time (like casting weighted lines )

What else could it be? Defective lines?

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    What else could it be? Defective lines?
    Preference!

Not saying TT is bad, just that there is some really good new stuff out there now, worth a try.

+ Reply to Thread