+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help - olive streamer pattern with copper wire in collar

Default help - olive streamer pattern with copper wire in collar

Hello all. On a recent trip to Colorado, I stopped in at the wonderful Angler's covey in Colorado Springs. I needed some olive wooly buggers. Unfortunately they were out of them. But, the gentleman sold me something better. I'm hoping that if I describe the pattern, that someone might have the recipe. I can remember the basic ingredients, but not exactly how they go together.

It looked vaguely like a damsel nymph/dubbed leech/wooly bugger cross:
    Gold round bead head, longshank size 10 hook, olive marabou tail with green flash. The body was olive thread with olive antron yarn well teased out. There was also olive antron tied over it as a sort of collar or overwing that fell back over the fly. The brilliant thing was that there were also bits of very fine copper wire included in the olive yarn, which kept the body nice and bushy and flashy.

The rainbows in the south platte literally tore this fly to little pieces, so I have no reference pattern.

I just can't figure out how to put this fly together and make it look 'right' I'm probably forgetting an ingredient or two. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Normand Guest

This is merely an innocent suggestion, but why not email them for the recipe. That were you bought it, they should be able to tell you.

info@anglerscovey.com

An excellent idea. I didn't think of that.

If I get it, I'll post a recipe here.

m

From your description it sounds to me like the body is constructed using a dubbing loop of fine copper wire.

Hi Ron.

Thanks for the thought - but the wire appears to be actually tied in with the yarn in short strips. I have just a little bit of the antron/wire mix left. I'm hoping that anglers covey will email me back. My last resort is to have my dad (who lives in Co Springs) drive over to anglers covey and buy one and mail it to me. then I'll post a recipe on here. Its one of the best streamer patterns I have ever used.

Mike

it could be quick descent dubbing.
    I don't remember who markets it, but I know it incorporated metalic strands of some sort...

It may be a product called Lightbrite? It is something like flash-a-boo but real fine mixed in with another types of material. You can put it into a dubbing loop and use it as a body or you can spin it on or even tie it on and comb it out. Just an Idea. It is made by Sprit River inc. They make it so that it is "IN" another material or by it's self in just the copper which can be mixed with a dubbing. I have both. Just an idea of what the materail may be. Ron

Thanks guys. I think it might be lightbright - I'll see if I can get it in the UK - then I'm gonna have to sit down and do some experimenting.

Mike

If you end up with one as a sample ....how about a picture besides the recipe?

If it is a local pattern, tied by someone who ties special flies for the shop, maybe we can find out the dresser's name and name of the fly pattern.

If that is the case,I think it would be wonderful if that person, could be contacted for a request of a Fly of the Week article for the fly pattern in question.

+ Reply to Thread