+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for new waders

Default Looking for new waders

I'm about to purchase some waders. I live in Maryland so the weather changes quite a bit through the year. Any suggestions? I will be using them through the winter and I want them to be affordable (Dick's is having a sale on their Hodgeman waders) Neoprene, Breathable, or old school? Chest, waist, or shorties? I will wet wade in the summer.

Any shoe suggestions are also appreciated.

zdank,
    If you're going to be fishing in ice water, I would suggest 5 mil Neoprene and some kind of polypropelene under garment. Shoes would depend on what type of river bottom. Just be sure they fit well. Snug, but not too tight. Too tight would slow or even cut off blood circulation and actually create cold feet.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Default Neoprene, Waders

In my opinion -Neoprene, the only way to go. I fish most all winter long I wear boots two sizes large with Rockey boot liners inside, nice and toasty. If your feet are cold ---You are cold .

Regards
    JaD
    Fish like predator.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech
    zdank,
    Shoes would depend on what type of river bottom. Just be sure they fit well. Snug, but not too tight. Too tight would slow or even cut off blood circulation and actually create cold feet.
    Absolutely!

I make sure my wading shoes will accommodate a nice thick heavy pair of wool socks in the winter in addition to the neoprene booties and my feet stay nice and toasty. As far as shoe recommendations go; I find Chota STL's and Korkers to be excellent shoes that are nice and roomy with a WIDE toe area which is VERY important to keep your tootsies warm. Although I don't like them, boot foot waders will probably keep your feet the warmest although you may sacrifice some support in the boot department.

I don't use neoprene because I don't get that cold, lucky me! I fish in breathables all year until wet wading season which starts for me in early June in PA. But if you can deal with wearing neoprene during the warmer days when you are not wet wading, you can't beat neoprene for winter fishing.

Default Cold weather

I use breathables all year long. For cold weather I put on a pair of Capilene silkweights and cover those with Fleece wading pants or thick Polypropalene longjohns. On top I layer up with the same 2 layers plus add a wool shirt plus jacket. Whether you go with Neoprene or breathable, my best tip is Smartwool-Heavy Hunting/Fishing (check Orvis). They are $23 a pair but very, very much worth every penny. I bought a pair for my brother-in-law and his son, they are steelheaders, and they loved them. My 2 cents.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

I'm with raw69, breathables are the way to go, even in the cold weather. I steelhead fish right through the winter and I use my Simm's guideweight bootfoot breathables. As long as you layer properly, you'll stay plenty warm. The problem with the neo's is they get pretty heavy after standing in the water all day and you'll still sweat in them in the colder weather, which can give you a nasty chill.

Neophrene? I don't think Simm's hasn't made them in years. Get breathables and layer as much as you need to underneath. 5 mill neos are terrible to wear, they have reduced flexability, and are even worse to try to get off, especially when your cold!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I have both types of waders both Light weights and Neo's. I have 5mm Neo's with insultaed boot feet in them. I fished at 20 below one time just to see if I could catch a fish. This on one of the spring creeks here. Caught one fish never taking it from the water. Then I quit hands and face just got to cold but my body and feet stayed warm as toast.
    If it were me and you are not going to be doing a lot of hiking I would go with the bootfoot waders. Either light weight or Neo's. Get them a shade big and then use extra sock's. With the stocking foot waders with over shoe's a few things I hated in the winter is putting on those dang overshoes and getting frozen hands, those dang laces breaking at the wrong time And it takes forever to get them on. With the bootfoot I can slide in and out in but a few secounds and be either in the truck heading home or on my way fishing with warm hands.
    The choice is yours in Neo's or Light weights but I think I would go for the light weight's if you are not going to fish in real cold weather all the time. You can put under garments on and be fairly warm in most weather. But give me the old BootFoots anytime. Just can't take the cold hands anymore. Getting old I guess. Ron

Zack,
    I was on Big Hunting Creek last Dec. - underarmor type on, fleece wader pants, light weight pants, breathable waders...good to go! I wear sock foot waders and standard felt soles. Western MD from what I hear may require studs, but haven't had the need out our way. With proper socks, again - multilayers, warmer in the water than out! I'd do chest waders and adjust from there.
    Cheers (again),
    Mike K.
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

I also stick w/lightwieght breathable waders all year. I prefer Dan Baileys' for function vs economy. I fish here in Mt. and N. Wy. all year and where fleece pants under my waders.

+ Reply to Thread