+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: swap monopolization

mr. blur I did not mean that you had said that but I have seen others say it. Sorry I did not mean to offend you. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Blog Entries

I think overall that this discussion is a good one. I still believe that with the constant addition of new tyers and a variation of swap themes, you will see very little repitition. It is one of the best mediums I've found to improve my skills since I am somewhat isolated and don't have an excess of local tyers locally. And complaints that there aren't enough swaps is a good sign, IMO. That means we have lots of people participating. We just need more folks stepping up and running their own from time to time.

On a tangencey, on tiny swap number 2, I believe that there are at least 4 tyers out of 10 that I have never tied with before and 3 in tiny swap number 1. That seems to be a pretty good blend for an established swap forum. And with many people ending up their fishing season soon, I expect more and more to join in this winter. I would challenge anyone to find a better swapping base anywhere.

As far as the term swapmeister, I use the term because that was the term that was used by others when I started. It has nothing to do with my skill or my ego, if that is what is perceived. I'm more than happy to change terminology if that will make more new folks join us in our swapping. It is, after all, just a word.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I think the thing you have to remember is swaps are on a first come first served basis. Yes there are guys who seem to be in every swap. Then there are those the are in one once in a while. So be it, the guys who are in alot of swaps, have a lot of good ideas they are willing to share. Generally they are good to very good tyers. Also they tend to be friends to us all. Start a swap they'll be the first ones to jump in to start it off. They will also be the first to fill a swap that neeeds one more tyer. We need them, as more swaps come along more people will get in. All I can say is thanks to the guys who love this craft,art, insanity and are ready to give something of themselves every time when the swap beckons. Also looks for the next swap I host your spot is waiting. Dan Gober

Recently I joined my first swap the tiny swap, thanks to Ol' Blue for hosting. If people are keen to get into a swap they will find one in short order usually, I've seen numerous swaps that I could have got into but didn't for whatevere reason. I've decided to host my own swap so get on over to the swap board and sign up for the phil rowley swap.

I've been watching this thread and I would like to chime in because I really enjoy being involved in swaps. Where I live the closest fly shop is at least 50+ miles away and I have no one to tie with in my area. So I thank the swap hosts for the opportunity to become involve in these swaps. Through the swap hosts example's I myself have grown as a tier and in the near future I will be hosting my own swaps. If one doesn't learn the trade then how can one become efficient in it? So I hope more people will become involved in swaps for this is a great way to improve one's fly tying skills and to meet fellow tiers.

I'm one of 'em. Swap hog, horse, whatever. I've also hosted numerous swaps and recently closed one on deadline without the full number of slots offered being filled, which isn't a rarity. Choice of poison, I guess. I was actually "booted" from a swap because my reputation is of a warmwater hog, horse or whatever, and the meister limited it to "purists" -- horses, hogs and whatevers of a different color. No problem. Heck, so many of the trout flies are too small for me to tie onto a leader anyway regardless of their beauty, craftsmanship and mimickry of living organizisms you wouldn't want to find in your tacos. I really don't know that the Rick's, Bassman's, Ol' Blues, et.al are really swap bullies, but you are right that a certain number of us seem to jump right in when a swap is posted. This is a part of our passion. I'm happy to see it is a part of your interest and passion as well. So when a swap is posted be a first comer rather than a lurker. Host your own. What I love are the creative swaps, and when they're posted believe me I'll be one of the agressive ones trying to get a slot. YOu likely won't see me in on the "Classic Wings" swaps. If fact, I did one of those once and was thoroughly embarrassed when the box of flies were returned. There were 11 of the most beautiful flies I've ever seen and mine, a burro among horses. It was one of those times I was so thoroughly pleased to be living in the High, Wide and Lonesome. JGW

Blog Entries

I guess that would bring us to the next logical topic of discussion. Aside from "first come, first served", how else would you all like to see signups decided? I would personally have a hard time telling anyone that they weren't included. I guess that is why I like the current format. It keeps me from making what I see as unpleasant decisions, and is as fair as I've come up with. But I'm willing to hear alternatives.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I know Ive been in a few swaps...

But I have just started a Beginner Swap ... for people who has been in less then 5 swap...

any of you guys new to the swapping is welcome

Leonard

I've never had a problem with letting those who sign up first be the participants in a swap. There have been some that have filled before I even realized there was an opening. The format for participating in swaps has worked well in the past. Why change an already good thing? If a person fails to get signed up for a swap all he/she has to do is wait a couple of days for another one to open. In addition, if a person becomes disenchanted with swap "hogs" they can start a swap of their own. It's more work and there's a bit more organization needed, but I honestly think if I can host a swap then anyone can. I say that because I'm not the most organized person in the world. Finally, for myself, I'd be reluctant to host a swap and not let those who signed up first be the participants. I'm not aware of a more fair system than what we have but that doesn't mean I'm not open to suggestions that would enhance the swap experience.

I also agree, swaps should be first-come, first-served.

In addition, I believe all swaps on a BB such as this should be open to all. I recall seeing more than one swap that was open only to certain members, a mini-club of sorts. I find such exclusive swaps to be tacky and self-centered.

My compliments to all those that have successfully hosted swaps, particularly to those swapmeisters that make the effort to keep the swap stimulating and fun from beginning to end.

+ Reply to Thread