+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For those of you that carry 1,000+ flies

Default For those of you that carry 1,000+ flies

The thread on how many you own started me thinking. For those of you that carry 1,000 or more flies with you on the stream, what are you carrying them in? (On a hunting expedition, you can have a gun bearer - seems like you'd need a fly bearer to carry several thousand... )

I understand hundreds of small nymphs and midges don't take up much space (and pack easily in several different manufacturers' small fly boxes), but what are you using to carry dries (so the hackle isn't destroyed)and larger streamers?

Normand Guest

I use a Dewitt 18 compartment fly box for my dry flies.

http://www.feather-craft.com/2006MAster ... sp?page=32

Scroll to the middle of the page to see it

I dont jam 3 dozen flies into each compartment so the hackles stay nice.

I actually have a case that holds more then that in flies that I take with me to have at all times. I do leave it in camp after I have chosen what I want to use for the day. Most of my fly fishing is still water so if they are not hitting what I take out it is easy to go back and gather a few more. Just the dumb way I fish I guess but it works for me

I have a question on this one.

Why would a person carry 1000 flies..

Because you can? Really though what
    would be a good reason for so many taken to the stream

Just curious...

Steve Molcsan
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

It does not take that much space to carry 1 thousand flies at all. The small C&F fly boxes with the swing leaf in them hold 576 flies in one small box. Two boxes and you have a thousand covered. I have four of them. Plus I have an 18 compartment Dewitt that is full of caddis and I have a large box full of hoppers. And another full of different Beatis patterns. We fish to a lot of beatis hatches out here. And I have other boxes full of different types of flies. I may not have them on me but I usually have them with me in a kit bag in the boat or truck.
    I guided for many year and I learned it pays to have back ups and enough flies to cover just about anything that comes up.
    You can get a lot of flies just by covering one hatch like the Beatis. They can come off in sizes from 16 to 26's. So if you have say two or three dry fly pattterns and say two Emerger patterns two nymph patterns and a spinner pattern and you cover all the sizes that may come off in your locl stream? Get the idea. It doesn't take a lot to get a good collection of flies going. And that is just one fly of many in a given stream.
    You can laugh at people that carry a lot of flies but I bet in the end they will be the ones laughing when they have the right pattern to cover what is going on and you are wondering what to do or were you can get the flies that guy is using. I know my clients sure liked it because I had what was needed and when it was needed. Ron

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Molcsan
    Why would a person carry 1000 flies..
    I'd rather be prepared....

Thats only a fraction of what I have.

Norm,

Nice , very nice!

Steve Molcsan
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

You must have legs like a pack-mule to carry that much .
    I am very envious though. I trust that you tie often.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Default answer to why 1000+ flies

I have and carry 1500+ flies because I tied 95% of them. Spent last 2 years going through chemotherapy treatments and got to tie a lot more than go fishing. I took a couple months off from tying but am starting to get the feeling to start back up. I find it easy to give them away when I get out because I have so many.

FH

Norman You have to be kidding--you may have that many flies and you may have a large case to carry them in but on the stream ???? Hasn't everyone heard of the "ONE FLY" fishing event????. I have never needed over two small boxes.

+ Reply to Thread