+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the strangest thing you have hooked?

Default What is the strangest thing you have hooked?

I just remembered a part of my Labor Day trip that was funny. I had hooked into a nice fish and was in the process of bringing it in when three Pelican's landed real close. I wasn't paying attention to them, but My sister in law yells at me that they are after my fish.
    He was, and I had visions of this protected bird flying off with my fish and my fly still in it's mouth....what to do. Anyway, he got close to my fish so I started slapping the side of my pontoon with my hand to scare him off. I would reel a little more them start slapping the side of my boat again. Took forever to get this fish in, then the birds took off and I felt at ease to let this poor fish go. It was amusing after all was done.

the strangest thing I ever caught... well it got tangled up in my line...

when you are out night fishing... bats are out... how do you take a bat out of your line without getting bit....

this happened to me last night and about 3 years ago

Was fishing a creek called Seven Mile in Central Utah. Flipped a fly right along the bank and a good sized water snake flicked its head out of the grass and inhaled my Rio Grande King.

Tim Anderson

Dear Fly Goddess,

I once caught a well used disposable diaper in the Susquehanna River in Binghamton, NY. I tried really hard to talk my little brother into taking it of my hook for me but he refused.

I was playing a nice brook trout of about 12 inches one time on Big Fishing Creek in central PA. I was fishing from a rock wall along the stream and as I brought the fish close to the wall a large Northern Water snake latched onto it. It took me a while to get the fish away from the snake since I was only using a Sage 279LL. The snake was a good 36 inches long and I couldn't really horse it in.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Yep -- I've had the bat thing during the hex hatch. What a pain! Of course, the thing had to land on my back. For this reason, I'm a big fan of fly vests and fish nets. It landed in my net, so I could easily take my vest off, throw it to the ground, and carefully snip the line. If I had used my 4 or 7 weight, the bat would have casted past me, but for some reason I was using my 2 weight. A little under-powered for a bat.

I once had a king fisher grab a fly I was tossing, luckily he droped it before the hook set.

Yeah I've caught Pelicans that stole my fish and had small gators that stole my flies . Never had a snake steal my fly yet .
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Hi,
    I've hooked myself a few times, and I'm the strangest thing I know!

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

At East Lake in central OR. I was in my float tube and on my first cast, a DUCK swims over and bites my woolybugger! He panicked and took off and I had to tie another fly on.
    Speaking of birds, also at East Lake, the sea gulls were eating the chubs I killed. I caught a BIG chub and threw it to a gull. He somehow swallowed it and OH NO! he could not take off with the weight of the chub inside him. So gulls are lousy fish birds. They should leave it to the Ospreys.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Dear DShock,

You have to salute a bird that eats something so large that it immobilizes itself. That is mighty impressive.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

+ Reply to Thread