+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battenkill river

Default Battenkill river

I am looking for a campground on the battenkill. My brother and i are going to camp on the river for a few days in the summer, and we are looking for a campground near a good part of the river to fish. we dont really need anything special- just a place to pitch a tent and a parking spot.

[This message has been edited by phatkid248 (edited 27 April 2005).]

There's a campground in Arlington, Vermont. If you look at a map, the campground is at the junction of the Battenkill and Roaring Branch rivers. Fishing the 'Kill can be VERY difficult, and sometimes VERY frustrating. Contrary to popular belief, however, the fish are most definetly there.

Good Luck,

Mike D. [url=http://battenkill.tripod.com:24c68]http://battenkill.tripod.com[/url:24c68]

bump

"Camping on the Battenkill" in Arlington is the only campground on the river that is worth a darn, good prices, Make reservations for a site on the river. In the trees, clean. nice sites. Fishing in front of the campground is not so hot, but 5 to 10 min. by car puts you in some wonderful water, whether you go up or down stream. The Battenkill ( my favorite river) has never been an "easy" river, even in the golden years of the storied past. In recent years the trout population has undergone some hard times and the state of Vt. has named it a C&R river. Vt. hasn't stocked it since the late 60's so the fish you see are well tuned to their environment. Brookies and browns decended for many generations from plantings made decades ago. Thr river itself is idylic. Everything a trout stream should be. Go, enjoy, and say howdie when you see me.
    AgMD

Camping on the Battenkill brings back many pleasant memories. My family and I used to camp there in the late '60s and '70s. For my 14th birthday, my Mom paid for me to go the Orvis Fly Fishing School in Manchester. I remember we learned to cast on bamboo rods as this was before graphite. They would let you borrow a rod overnite to fish with and I caught my first trout in the Battenkill with that rod. As I said, many pleasant memories.

-John

+ Reply to Thread