+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pole wt vs. fish in lbs.

Default Pole wt vs. fish in lbs.

Could anyone tell me what the whole wt thig is, like for example. A 2 wt rod would be able to catch fish to what size?..from 0 wt to 8 wt. Thanks a lot.

Blog Entries

It depends much more on the person holding the rod than on the rod itself. It also depends on the fish species, the water, and so on. In short, there is no simple straightforward answer to your question, in my opinion.

I've landed several carp over 40 pounds on a six
    weight. I have friends that tell me they do it on
    a two weight.*G* I have other friends that tell me
    I need a nine weight. They can't all be right.*G*
    There are probably recommended weight to fish size
    tables some place. I think I've seen something
    similar with Orvis but I may be mistaken. But I think DG is right on. It's pretty subjective and
    one mans ideal set up is way too heavy or way too
    light for others.*G* Warm regards, Jim

Think of it this way. The line weight is to deliver a fly. The heavier the fly the heavier the line weight. Once a fish is hooked the right person could use a broomstick. The rod flex absorbs the tug of the fish. Lighter rods will play the same fish with more flex, meaning you have to use the butt section of the rod more. You can provide the cushioning with your wrist or a loose hand if need be.

My guidelines;
    0-4 = small streams
    4-7 = rivers and lakes
    8-10 = larger rivers, larger fish or saltwater fish.

This is not exact, but rather what you are likely to see people using at these locations. I will also guarantee that someone will call my guidelines wrong, but whatever, they have their guidelines.

jed

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Default Re: Pole wt vs. fish in lbs.

There is no direct correlation between the line / rod weight system and fish size. The line weight refers to the load ( or weight ) that the rod was designed to cast.
    That numeric line weight system corresponds to a standardized conversion table using grains as the unit of measure.

On the other hand, most rods from line weight two and down, were design to catch bored fishermen with a closet full of gear. Just musing gang.

Best, Dave

Line wt depends on the size fly your using or the fishing conditions you encounter.ie if your casting large bug for bass a 4 wt rod can't turn the bug over you need a 7 wt or larger.On the other hand if your fishing a trout stream say during a midge hatch you need a lighter line, not to cast the fly, but so as not to spook the fish.
    Use Jeds suggestions as a guide is a good wat to start.

Tom

I, for one, am adamant about using the "right" weight rated rod for the size fish I expect to catch. I see absolutely NO thrill in hooking up and bending a rod into a "U". I know there are others here who live for that thrill. Not I. As was mentioned here, what you're casting is also a determinant of rod weight but NOT as important as what you're angling for, in MY opinion.

Mark

Ok this is all good stuff, but im going to build a rod..im looking at a 6'6 2 wt..what would I fish with that? Could i fish creeks and little lakes for panfish and small bass..trout too?

The rod you mentioned would be great for small streams/small fish (brookies or cutthroat come to mind), or for a stream with very little room for a backcast. As far as rod wt vs fish weight, go with whatever weight you can humanely land a fish with. This means if you're fishing for Salmon/Steelhead, you certainly COULD bring one in on a 4wt rod (if you were skilled enough), but the time it would take you to land it would mean an almost certain death for the fish- which is fine if it's a stocker and you plan on keeping it, but not if it's a wild fish you plan on releasing. I'd say you could use a 3wt and under for small streams/small fish, 4-6 wt for medium streams/medium fish, and 7-10wt for larger streams/fish. Hope this is helps.

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

Ok lets say i used the rod mentioned above to bring in a 3 lb steelhead..and i did it very quickly(not that i can, but would)..would the pole have the chance of being broken..Or is i was fishing for smallmouth with it..

+ Reply to Thread