+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Bamboo Rod

Default First Bamboo Rod

I've only ever used graphite rods.
    I own several, from a 3 piece 8 weight to 7 piece travel rods, to my current favorite, a Winston Boron 9 foot 5 weight 4 piece.

I think I'm going to take the plunge and order a bamboo rod. The rod will be expensive, and I will have to wait 4-5 years to get it delivered, so I can't buy more than one. I am going to have to choose the rod's characteristics, and I want a rod in a specification that will play to the strengths of bamboo.

I'm thinking of a shorter (8 foot or less) rod in a 3 or 4 weight, for use on smaller streams and creeks (which is where I do much of my fishing) for going after smaller and medium sized trout (which is what I normally catch on these streams.)

If you bamboo addicts could only own one bamboo rod, and you were going to be fishing mostly on smaller Western waters, what would you choose? What is the quintessential bamboo rod?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Kai

Elkhorn.

Payne 97, 7' 4 wt a dream to cast.
    Joe

Default Best Bamboo!

Bare in mind that this is my opinion. And, I'm sure I share it with many. I'd go with a 7 1/2' 5 weight, in a quad. These are the best rods at any price. IMHO.
    God Bless,
    http://www.ronkusse.com/blacktroll.html
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    Elkhorn.
    Perhaps I should have been more clear. I'm getting the rod from a local rod builder who runs a shop called South Creek. I'm not looking for advice on what brand of rod to buy or which rod builder to go to. I'm looking for advice on what type of bamboo rod to buy

Tonkin.

Kai,

If the builder is real local and he has some boo rods that he fishes with, maybe he'd let you lawn cast a couple to help make up your mind.

I can't help you with tapers, but for fishing the small streams near home I really like a 7' or 7'6" 4 weight, two piece, two tip. It handles the resident cutts as well as the fall sea run cutts.

Hope this helps some.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Anything by Darryl Whitehead, or any Dickerson. The favorite rod I own would have to be my H.I. Tonka Prince- it will cast a 5wt line under an overhanging log and into the next pool (without spooking the rising fish) quite nicely. I suggest that you find a local builder (go to www.goabra.org to find a listing for your state/area), and have them build you a rod. They'll probably have a few rods lying around for you to test cast, and you can figure out what sort of length/weight/action is going to fit your needs. Also, before you invest a great sum of money into a bamboo rod, you may consider looking at one of the "blue collar" rods in the shorter lengths (the H.I. that I mentioned, or one of the lighter/shorter Grangers would probably fit your needs).

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk
    Kai,

If the builder is real local and he has some boo rods that he fishes with, maybe he'd let you lawn cast a couple to help make up your mind.

I can't help you with tapers, but for fishing the small streams near home I really like a 7' or 7'6" 4 weight, two piece, two tip. It handles the resident cutts as well as the fall sea run cutts.

Hope this helps some.

REE
    Thanks for the advice. I'm going by his shop next week to stream cast some rods to help me make up my mind. (His shop backs to a creek.)

I wanted to have things narrowed down a bit before I try out the rods, however.

I'm leaning toward a 7 1/2 foot or 8 foot in a 4 weight.

I'll add my support to a 7'6" 4wt. Mine is one of the "modern" tapers (Sir D) and it is soooo sweet!

Jim

+ Reply to Thread