+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Here's my finished glass resoration project

Default Here's my finished glass resoration project

I came home friday to the phone ringing. It was my brother, the one who I planned to restore my dad's old Wright Mcgill glass rod to give my brother for Christmas. He tells me that He's in town for the weekend just before shipping out (he's a navy guy) and won't be back until May. So much for Christmas. So my project got stepped up a bit. I started Friday night and finished it Sunday morning. Here's the pics. I stripped and revarnished the rod with gudebrod varnish then rewrapped with new guides. I did keep the original nickel/silver ferrules and reel seat and I loved the handle, It has alot of character! I did coat the handle in cork sealer. Thanks to all who replied to my posts regarding this project and especially to Denver Dave and Rick at Ricksrods.com for the handle logo that proved to be the hardest thing to find! It turned out pretty good I think, although I would have liked to have had more time. Even though it is very fishable,I'm pretty sure it will be a wall hanger for sentimental reasons. It was fun to do and I can't wait for the next project! LOL

Hare

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati .... "When all else fails...Play dead"

Default restored glass

Looks good Bear. Shoot photojoe a message and get a project bamboo. Thats if he has time. Went fishing this weekend, he broke one rod and has a loose ferrel on another. Musta been ash from all the fires around us

Wow, that was done in over-drive! With your brother shipping out until May, I would have waited til April. Good thing you're not a procrastinator like myself.
    Rod came out very nice. How did you treat the cork grip?
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

The cork grip was treated BY ACCIDENT!!!! In my haste, I intended to seal it with cork sealer. What actually happened was that I coated it with color preserver. DOn't ask me how I did this! LOL by the time I figured out what had happened it was too late. The original grip had this wonderful patina from use, so who knows, maybe I invented some new way of precerving cork color. Stranger things have happened! It turned out to have a slight shine to it and is not sticky at all. seemed to work well. don't know about the long term affects though.
    Hare

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati .... "When all else fails...Play dead"

+ Reply to Thread